Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

2005 chevy cobalt ..does it use power steering fluid why ...

Customer Question

2005 chevy cobalt ..does it use power steering fluid? why would it be hard to steer all of a sudden?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.
No it should not use power stering fluid. Have you checked the level and found it low?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i have no idea how to check the level so no what could make it hard to steer all of a sudden?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.
If it has a leak and the fluid is low it will be very hard to steer. Take it or tow it somewhere like a service station and have them check it before you damage the power steering pump. If you want to look yourself the manuial may give you a picture of the reservoir, it is a small black plastic box on top of the engine with a little cap on it. If you remove the cap there is a little stick on it that will say "Fill and Add" and some lines. If it's below Add you have a leak.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
you told me it dosent take fluid then you asked if i had checked it? this makes no sense!
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.
What I meant was it should not use fluid up, it should always be full unless you have a leak. I'm sorry I wasn't clear, it is a fluid operated hydraulic system, but the fluid is not normally "used" up or consumed.