Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

2002 CAVALIER: / A 2.2 ECOTECH. CHANGED OIL 3 DAYS AGO..CAR RAN FINE

Customer Question

iI HAVE A 2002 CAVALIER W/ A 2.2 ECOTECH. CHANGED OIL 3 DAYS AGO . CAR RAN FINE FOR 1 DAY. NOW IT HAS NO OIL PRES.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.
If you did the oil change yourself, pull the filter and check the o-ring, also check for any metal flakes or distorted pleats. Replace the filter and recheck If the pressure continues to stay low, do not drive it, get it in to the shop by tow. Also if you used a non-GM filter, get one of those to replace it with. Get back to me and let me know what you found in the filter.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ted G.'s Post: I ALREADY HAVE THE FILTER OUT & THE PAN OFF TO CHECK THE PICK UP TUBE. THE FILTER PLEATS HAVE SOME DISTORSION TO THEM . THERE ARE A COUPLE OF SMALL METAL FLAKES ON IT . THE OIL PAN LOOKS OK. THE PICK UP TUBE IS NOT CLOGGED AND THERE IS NO METAL ON THE PICK UP SCREEN. COULD IT BE A OIL PUMP AND IF SO WHERE IS IT LOCATED?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.
The pump is located in the timing cover, but losing all oil pressure is unlikely to be a pump, did you have a gauge on ? Was it all the way to zero?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ted G.'s Post: I DO NOT HAVE A GAGE. WHEN YOU WOULD TRY TO START THE CAR , IT WOULD MAKE A LOUD VALVE RAP AS IF IT WERE GETTING NO OIL. NOT SURE OF EXACT OIL PRES.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.
You may have a stuck oil pressure relief, that will bring you down to 4-5 psi, but not zero. Try the filter, but if anything else acts up, the oil pump and relief valve will need to be checked.