Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

P300: coil pack..manifold..2 weeks in the Grand Prize GM dealership

ECOTEC 2.2 P0300 code, surging idle. Attempted completed corrections; new plugs, new coil pack, new ignition module,new 02 sensor before the cat, new inake manifold with mass airflow sensor. 2 weeks in the Grand Prize GM dealership with no improvement.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Have you cleaned the injectors using an apparatus that doesn't need the fuel pump but rather compressed air? Has the fuel filter been changed? Do you know if the engine control module has been updated with the latest and greatest calibration? Has a compression test been performed and do you know which cylinder(s) are misfiring?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, yes,it has according to grand prize caddy,gmc etc... of nyack ny.
Full story as I told the dealership is, The car started hard(Boom) one cold day and I heard a noise from under the hood. Turns out the timing chain tensioner was pushed in by the suddden start. The tensioner was repaired by a local garage. The idle surge, lack of power, and p0300 code surfaced and hasn't gone away since.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

I would definitely be leaning towards a mistimed engine. When something like that happens the engine will seem to run ok off idle but while idling the misfire will be more prevelant and noticeable.

#PIP3433D: SES Light and Sever Engine Misfire On Cylinder 1 And 4 or Cylinders 2 And 3 - keywords ICM ignition miss module no P0300 P0301 P0302 P0303 P0304 plug repeat replacement spark - (Jul 24, 2007)

Subject:SES Light and Severe Engine Misfire on Cylinders 1 and 4 or Cylinders 2 and 3

Models:2002-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier
2005-2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
2006-2006 Chevrolet HHR
2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu
2004-2005 Chevrolet Malibu Classic
2002-2004 Oldsmobile Alero
2007 Pontiac G5
2002-2005 Pontiac Grand Am
2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)
2002-2005 Pontiac Sunfire
2003-2006 Saturn Ion
2004-2005 Saturn L Series
2002-2006 Saturn Vue
with 2.2L Engine (VIN D or F - RPO L61)

This PI Supercedes To Remove 2007 Model Year. Please Discard PIP3433C

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment on a severe engine misfire and a SES Light. Upon inspection, DTCs P0300 - P0304 may be found due to misfires on cylinders 1 and 4 or cylinders 2 and 3.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If this concern is encountered, inspect circuits 406 (IC Control for 2/3 Coil) and 423 (IC Control for 1/4 Coil) for an intermittent short to ground or poor connection on either end. Depending on the model, these circuits may short on the AC lines near the AC compressor, on the transmission mount, or on the transmission lines where they enter the transmission. If there is no problem found with these circuits, inspect the ignition control module ground to ensure that it is clean and tight.

If there is no problem found after performing the suggestions above and the SI diagnostics lead to ignition module replacement, replace the ignition module as directed but also replace all of the spark plugs and clean the ignition module ground to possibly prevent future ignition module damage.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

#PI00434A: 2.2 L61 Engine Crank , No Start - kw break broken chain cylinder head knock lubrication no noise nostart nozzle oil timing - (Mar 22, 2004)

Subject:2.2 L61 Engine Crank No Start

Models:.

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

Condition/Concern:

Engine will crank but not start, also makes noise while cranking. Condition may be caused by a broken timing chain.

Recommendation/Instructions:

1. Install service kit p/n 12578218 which includes:

A. A new S-Pin Chain p/n 24461834

B. A constant (no check valve) lubrication nozzle p/n 12577163

C. And drive parts.

2. Repair after a broken timing chain should include inspection of the cylinder head, the L61 engine is a valve interference engine (not free spinning).

.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

Models:

2002-2003 Chevrolet Cavalier) and (2002-2003 Pontiac Sunfire) and (2002-2003 Oldsmobile Alero) and (2002-2003 Pontiac Grand Am)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: would you suggest replacing the whole timing chain et all or just checking the sprockets?
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
After looking at that last bulletin I would look at the timing components and the cylinder head as there may have been damage to the valves given it's an interference head (when the timing is off the valves may contact the pistons and bend the valve stems). I think you will find the compression is low in a cylinder and/or there's some physical damage to the valves.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: one last thing, i had an oil smaple done on my last change to check for high levels of fuel, it was less the 1%. Does this change anything? I did see more debris in the oil filter area then usual.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
The fuel may be going out the tailpipe because the piston rings are sealing so well and not entering the crankcase instead. That debris in the oil filter area concerns me and tells me there is metal all throughout the engine and oiling system. I would definitely be having the compression checked, looking at the timing components and maybe needing to remove the engine as there's possible damage to the internals from that metal.
Dan, Auto Technician
Experience: GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified