Mike World Class G.M.
Mike World Class G.M., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  24 year Veteran Master Technician. A.S.E. Master Technician, G.M. World Class Technician .

2005 trailblazer: liter..v6..The oil light stays

Dear Staff, I have a 2005 trailblazer with the 4.2 liter v6. The oil light stays on for a extended time before it goes off. When the motor starts all the service light stay on a few seconds then go out, the oil service light stays on now for approx 5-10 more seconds. I have just turned over to 60000 which seems sort of a quensidental. The oil was also changed like 500 miles ago. I have done the reset of the oil timer per the manual multiple times and it does not seem to change anything. I disconected the battery for 5 minutes with no change. The oil level is good also, so is the antifreeze. How do I reset this? What is the cause of this staying on? Thanks for your help. Robert Speckhals e-mail [email protected]
Hey, rspeckhals, Thanks for asking. I need a little info please. What procedure are you using to reset the light? seconf question does your trailblazer have optional steering wheel controls (switches on the steering wheel for various functions)?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Page 5-19 says the following. Turn the ignition key to RUN with the engine off. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal slowly 3 times within 5 seconds. Turn key to lock. So I turn the key clock wise to the position right before I start the engine, I fully depress the foot pedal 3 times and turn the key back fully counter clock wise. Is the oil light acting like it needs to be reset?, maybe I am still not getting it correct??? My steering wheel has no function keys on it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dear staff
Hey I did the same thing I had been doing except I push the pedal real hard to the floor board. That was it, I was not going down all the way...
The oil light flashed this time and now when I start the motor it goes away will all other lights.

Please take your pay as I always appreciate having some one to ask questions to...

OK, No problem I will get you there. the procedure is sometimes misleading. Also make sure there is nothing up under the gas pedal IE: floor mat, towel or anything that can restrict the pedal from going fully to the floor. After that. Turn the key to run engine off all Panel lamps should come on. within 5 seconds fully press the gas pedal to the floor 3 times. 1 then 2 then 3 count like that i know it sounds funny but trust me it works. DO NOT TURN OFF THE KEY YET. the change oil lamp will begin to flash when it stops flashing then turn key off. wait about 10 seconds then start the vehicle normally the lamp should come on and within a few seconds go out.

Try this procedure I'm sure it will work. Thanks for using Just Answer and don't forget to accept the question. Thank you again, Mike