Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics
9480930

how to reset passlock in 2002 chevy avalanche

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott K replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

Welcome to Just answer.

There is a 10 minute procedure this has to be done with a GM scan Tool,

There is a 30 minute procedure that doesn't require scanner.

Make sure battery is fully charged before attempting.

30 Minute Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale; after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes; the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs, if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

Scott

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Cool, i will give this a shot!! I believe, I have drained the battery, trying to crank it! I will go get a new one, and try the 30 min. procedure! Thanks
Scott!
Expert:  Scott K replied 8 years ago.

Thank you!

Any more questions just ask!