RussMasterTech
RussMasterTech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  19 years of GM Dealership experience. ASE Master with L1 and GM Master Certified in Electrical
9377736

ignition switch will not turn all the way off to lock wheel

Customer Question

ignition switch will not turn all the way off to lock wheel won't turn to start either what is the quickest most economical fix for now
Category: Chevy
Expert:  RussMasterTech replied 6 years ago.

Hello Customer,

The only thing you can do is drill out the lock cylinder retaining tab and replace the cylinder. I will send you the factory procedure for drilling this out. If you don't have an "Angle Drill", you will have to get it towed to a shop that can perform this procedure. Since your cylinder is stuck in a position other than the off position, this procedure may not work. You will have to destroy the old cylinder, so make sure you get a new cylinder and new keys before attempting.

Hope this works out for you. I've done several over the years, and I know they are not fun.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Russ

Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement - On Vehicle (Without Key)

Removal Procedure

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disable the supplemental inflatable restraints (SIR) system.
  3. Remove the steering column shrouds.
    Object Number: 491355  Size: SH
  4. Drill out the locking button (2) on the rear of the housing assembly (1) using an angle drill.
    Object Number: 491353  Size: SH

5. Remove the ignition lock cylinder (1) by pulling outward from the steering column.
  6. Disconnect the electrical connector (3) from the ignition lock cylinder (1).

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 491353  Size: SH

Important: Ensure that all the metal shavings are cleaned from the steering column and ignition housing assembly.

1. Connect the electrical connector (3) to the ignition lock cylinder (1).
  2. Insert the ignition lock cylinder (1) into the housing assembly while rotating the key approximately 5 degrees counter - clockwise.
  3. Install the steering column shrouds
  4. Enable the SIR system.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable.
  6. Perform the Passlock Learning Procedure.

Experience: 19 years of GM Dealership experience. ASE Master with L1 and GM Master Certified in Electrical
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i removed the shrouds from colum i didn't have to drill out the button all i did was just push on the button and it pulled right out, ithen got a little crude because i didn't have another on hand i removed the tumblers put back together starts shuts off but won't turn back far enough to lock wheel and shut off power any oter ideas to get power off and wheel locked
Make sure the cable from the shifter to the cylinder is free and working correctly. Sometimes if the solenoid on the shifter fails, the cable won't release all the way, and this prevents the key from going back to the off position.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Russ

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the reason i have not accepted yet is because the problem is stil not fixed i don't no exactly what to check when checking the shifter cable my daughter has just been disconnecting battery cable when not driving i also have replaced the ignition switch and now the car turns over but won't start and the steering wheel still won't lock

The Park Shift Interlock cable is the cable that runs from the shifter to the ignition switch. I think I was unsure of what you were experiencing and I apologize for that. If you were to remove the center console and the steering collumn trim peices again, you should be able to see that when you push the button on the shifter, it will move a lever inside the shifter which has a cable clipped to it. When you push this button, you should see the cable moving. If for some reason this cable isn't moving or is sticking, the lock cylinder will not move back to the lock position. This is the cable to check.

I will send the factory procedure for adjustment. You may have a sticking shifter or cable that may need replacement, but try adjusting it first.

Russ

Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Adjustment

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the steering wheel.
  2. Remove the steering wheel covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement - On Vehicle .
  3. Ensure that the locking tab of the park lock cable end fully attaches to the column housing. Assemble the cable as needed. Replace the cable if the locking tab is damaged.
  4. Remove the console.
  5. Place the shift lever into PARK.
  6. Move the locking button on the shifter end of the park lock cable adjuster body to UNLOCK.
  7. Turn the ignition key to RUN. Do not start the engine.

Verify that the instrument panel lights illuminate.

8. Perform the following steps in order to ensure that the BTSI Solenoid activates fully:
    Fully compress the adjuster body spring.
    Release the adjuster body spring.
  9. Move the locking button on the shifter end of the park lock cable adjuster body to LOCK.
  10. Turn the ignition key to OFF-LOCK.
  11. Complete a park lock system test again in order to ensure proper operation of the lock system. If the system needs further adjustment, perform the following steps:
    11.1. Place the shift lever into PARK.
    11.2. Move the locking button on the shifter end of the park lock cable adjuster body to UNLOCK.
    11.3. Turn the ignition key to RUN. Do not start the engine.

11.4. Perform the following steps in order to ensure that the BTSI Solenoid activates fully:
    Release the adjuster body spring.
    11.5. Move the locking button on the shifter end of the park lock cable adjuster body to LOCK.
    11.6. Turn the ignition key to OFF-LOCK.
    11.7. Complete a park lock system test again in order to ensure proper operation of the lock system.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the steering wheel covers.
  2. Install the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement - On Vehicle .

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
before i got your response i pulled the cable out of the colum and it let the key turn back and lock the steering wheel so i put the cable back in and it wouldn't let the key turn or unlock the steering wheel i messed with the end of the cable end that sticks out of the colum by the steering and it started working properly however after driving the car acouple of times the steering locked up and the key will not turn also i have already removed the tumblers from the ignition switch do you think i need to replace the cable, when i took the cable out of the colum the second time it was stuck i had to pull very hard to get it out and it cracked the plastic piece that slides into colum is it possible that this cable may have been my problem the whole time , i could use some directions on how to replace cable
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it was the ignition switch the whole time i got thrown off when the theft system wouldn't allow motor to run . a friend told me how to reset theft system working fine   thank you