Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

2001 monte carlo ss: Security light..car wont start..the gear shift

Customer Question

2001 monte carlo ss, Security light in driver information center comes on, and the car wont start. if i jiggle the gear shift a little or wait about 10 minutes and try to start it again, it usually starts. usually. today, it didnt. Disconnected the battery cables and hooked them back up and the car started. The Chevy garage said it was a "sercurity issue". What does that mean? Is there anything I can do to fix it or is it a " I have to bring it to the dealer to fix" thing.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunately the security system on your car is one that is really complex. I can tell you that the problem they have the most often is with the ignition lock cylinder not working correctly so the system does not get the correct signal to the module. But sure as heck if I tell you to replace the cylinder, it will be another problem. The system uses a lot of different sensors to work and is controlled by the body control module. It will store a code when it has a problem and the code can only be retrieved with a class 2 scan tool like the dealers use, A regular code reader won't do the job as they can't access the body module on the car. As much as I hate to day it, a dealer may be your best choice as they have all the needed equipment and parts to make repairs. You can't even bypass this system as part of it is actually software that is written right into the module and you would have to have all new software written and installed to make the car run and the rest of the systems work without it. The reason it starts again after waiting 10 minutes, is that is about how long it take the system normally to reset. If you get into a situation where the car does not want to start, there is a relearn procedure that you can do on it that should help. Other than that, you need the class 2 scanner to test the components in the system. See procedure below. Thanks

30 Minute Learn Procedure

Tools Required

None

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

Important: The vehicle learns the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password).
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).