Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

how do I remove left barn door on 1998 Suburban

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
Rear Door Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable, as necessary with vehicles with power components.
  2. Apply cloth-backed tape to the door and to the body pillar.
    Object Number: 277851  Size: SH

3. Using a soft-faced hammer and locking pliers, remove the check assembly hinge pin.
  4. Using a soft-faced hammer and locking pliers, remove the lower hinge pin.
  5. Install a temporary bolt through the lower hinges in order to hold the door in place during the removal of the upper hinge pin.
  6. Remove the upper hinge pin.
  7. Remove the bolt from the lower hinge pin hole.
  8. Remove the door from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 277851  Size: SH

1. Install the door to the vehicle.
  2. Install a bolt through the lower hinge pin holes.
  3. Using a soft-faced hammer and a pair of locking pliers, install the upper hinge pin with the pointed end of the pin pointing downward.
  4. Remove the temporary bolt from the lower hinge.
  5. Install the lower hinge pin with the pointed end of the pin pointing downward.
  6. Remove the cloth-backed tape from the door and the body pillar.
  7. Install the check assembly hinge pin with the pointed end of the pin pointing downward.
  8. Connect the negative battery cable, as necessary.

Door Hinge Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the door from the body.
  2. Remove the excess sealer surrounding the hinge.
    Object Number: 277760  Size: SH

3. Scribe the location of the existing hinges on the body pillar and the door.
  4. Center punch each of the weld marks on the original hinge, so that all of the weld is removed during the drilling.
  5. Drill a 3.0 mm (0.12 in) pilot hole through the welds to a depth that penetrates only the hinge base.
  6. Using the smaller hole as a pilot, drill a 13.0 mm (0.51 in) hole only through the hinge base.
  7. Drive a chisel between the hinge and the door pillar.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 277760  Size: SH

1. Install the bolt-on hinges to the pillar and the door by completing the following steps:
    1.1. Position the bolt-on service replacement hinges within the scribe marks made on the body hinge pillar at the time of the removal.
    1.2. Center punch each bolt hole location on the body hinge pillar and/or on the door.
    1.3. Drill a 13.0 mm (0.51 in) hinge attaching hole in 3 steps in order to assure the proper placement of the hinge.
  2. Prepare the surface for the replacement hinges using a file or a similar tool.
  3. Coat the mating surfaces of the hinges with a medium-bodied sealer.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

4. Install the nuts.

Install the hinges, the backing plate, the bolts, and the nuts by completing the following steps:

4.1. Align the hinge, the pillar, and/or the door with the holes in the hinge pillar and the door.
    4.2. Place the bolts through the hinge, the pillar and/or the door, and the backing plate.

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 35 N·m (26 lb ft).

5. Install the door to the body. .
  6. Apply sealer around the hinges.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
pins will noy budge, even with penetrant oil
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
Sometimes these things can really be miserable to get out. Sometimes the paint makes them tight or hard or they will get rust build up in them etc. I have had to (unfortunately) resort to using heat on them sometimes and a large hammer to get them out. The big trick is to try to do so with the least possible damage to paint and adjoining surfaces. If you have to use a torch on them, be sure to protect as much of the painted area as you can. Sometimes you can soak rags in water and cover the area you don't want to get hot. Sorry that your having problems with them, I know how bad they can be sometimes. If you have access to a compressor, sometimes an air hammer will move them easier than a regular hammer, because of the short quick blows they deliver. I wish you luck with them. Also if they are long pins, make sure they do not have a retaining clip on them. Thanks