Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

I put the jumper cables on backwards, ...

I put the jumper cables on backwards, disconnected right away but too late.   Now the 1978 chevy 1 ton with a 454 won''t make a peep.I would like to know where to start      Thank you very much     Larry
You need to make sure you did not burn out the fusible links on it. There is at least one on the battery terminal at the starter and there may be another on the back of the alternator or on a bulk head plastic connector block on the fire wall. If these burn out they shut everything down including parts of the fuse block. You can normally tell when they are blown just by pulling on them, the insulation on the wire will stretch, indicating the sire is burnt through. Replace with fusible link wire, not regular wire or they won't work correctly when you need them to protect the wiring systems. Thanks