RussMasterTech
RussMasterTech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  19 years of GM Dealership experience. ASE Master with L1 and GM Master Certified in Electrical
9377736

1999 chevy blazer: clunking noise..it might be in transfer case

1999 chevy blazer when in 4w drive we hear clunking noise sounds it might be in transfer case.....your solution??
Category: Chevy
Expert:  RussMasterTech replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Because I work in a shop, I would put the truck up in the air and try to see if I could pinpoint the noise with the vehicle running in four wheel drive. I hesitate to tell you to do the same. If you have access to 4 good jack stands, then by all means, try this. If you don't have the jack stands, it will be difficult to find something like this. You could remove the front drive shaft and inspect the ujoint in the front and the cv joint at the rear of the shaft for play, or damage. While the shaft is out, you could try driving it and see if the noise is gone. If it is gone, it is probably the shaft, but could still be something in the front differential or the tcase.

The best way to diagnos this is up in the air with the system running.

I wish I could tell you more, but you will have to narrow down the source of the noise first before we can tell you how to fix it.

If this is the information you were looking for, please make sure to click the "Accept" button so I may receive the credit for helping you today. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Russ