Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

Setting distributor back in on 4.3l vortec

Customer Question

I need to know how to set distributor back in correct position on a 98 gmc jimmy with the 4.3L vortec motor I forgot to mark distributor when I took it out.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 6 years ago.

Hello Evanwormer and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your Jimmy.

You will have to bring the #1 piston up on compression stroke. There is a little mark on the base of the distributor with a '6' on it. Don't put it to the '8' as that is for an 8 cylinder. Here are the instruction from the book. Thanks

See Figure 5

1. Remove the No. 1 cylinder spark plug. Turn the engine using a socket wrench on the large bolt on the front of the crankshaft pulley. Place a finger near the No. 1 spark plug hole and turn the crankshaft until the piston reaches Top Dead Center (TDC). As the engine approaches TDC, you will feel air being expelled by the No. 1 cylinder. If the position is not being met, turn the engine another full turn (360 degree). Once the engine's position is correct, install the spark plug.

2. Using a long screwdriver, align the oil pump drive shaft in the engine in the mating drive tab in the distributor.

3. Install the distributor in the engine.

4. Install the distributor in the engine making sure that the matchmarks are properly aligned.

5. Install the hold-down bolt and tighten the bolt to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).

6. Install the distributor cap and attach the electrical connector at the base of the distributor.

7. Install the spark plug wires and coil leads.

8. If removed, install the air cleaner assembly.

9. Connect the negative battery cable.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: The rotor segment should be aligned with the pointer cast in the distributor base, when the distributor is fully seated

Do you need any more information?

If I have been helpful, please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button.