RussMasterTech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  19 years of GM Dealership experience. ASE Master with L1 and GM Master Certified in Electrical

97 firebird: speed manual..Idles rough, excellerates

97 firebird, 3.8 5 speed manual. Idles rough, excellerates rough but once up to speed it is fine. replaced plugs, wires, and fuel pump today and no difference.

Is it running bad enough that it has turned on the service engine soon lamp?

If it has a misfire, it should trip a code, and it should point to which cylinder is misfiring.

You should take it to someone with a scan tool that has misfire display capabilities before you replace any more unnecessary components.

Please let me know if it's setting any codes.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes, the light is on and flashes when going thru the gears. once your up to speed it stops flashing.

If you go to each spark plug and check for spark with an old sparkplug connected to a metal serface on the engine, you may get lucky and figure out which cylinder or cylinders are not firing. I know it's not that easy on that engine, but you'll have to try. If you have more than one cylinder with no spark, my guess is either the coil or the module have failed for that pair of cylinders.

If I've ansered your question, please make sure to click the "Accept" button.

Thanks for using Just Answer!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I think you might have it with that one. My neighbor is a mech. for a local chevy dealer, he will bring his code reader home on monday. If I need help with a code I'll hollar at ya, otherwise please respond to this so I can accept to make sure your getting your $ for the good advice. :)

Thank you for that.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask for me directly!

Thanks for using Just Answer!

I see you have yet to click the Accept button. If I've been of any help to you, please remember to click the "Accept" button so I may receive the credit before the question "Times out".

Thanks again,