goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified

2002 chevy silverado 2500 hd: I tighten my emergency brake..diesel

how do I tighten my emergency brake on my 2002 chevy silverado 2500 hd, diesel.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 6 years ago.

Hello, and welcome to JA!!!!! this vehicle uses park brake shoes inside the rear rotors!! the proper way is to adust the cleanerance between the rear e-brake shoes and the rotor. there is also one cable adjustment, that only removes slack in cable. tighten the cable wont help the e-brake to hold any better. I have included the instructions and pictures on what i am talking about!!!!! If you have any questions, please ask me to explain!!!!

Park Brake Adjustment

Park Brake Shoe Adjustment

Tools Required

J 21177-A Drum-to-Brake Shoe Clearance Gage

Caution: Refer to Brake Dust Caution in the Preface section.

Important: The park brake shoes must be adjusted before the park brake pedal is adjusted.

Object Number: 177200  Size: SH

1. Set the J 21177-A so that it contacts the inside diameter of the rotor.
    Object Number: 177201  Size: SH

2. Position the J 21177-A over the shoe and the lining at the widest point.
  3. Turn the adjuster nut until the lining just contacts the J 21177-A
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 for the opposite side.
  5. The clearance between the park brake shoe and the rotor is 0.6604 mm (0.026 in).

Park Brake Pedal Adjustment

Important: Before you adjust the park brake, verify that the park brake shoes are adjusted to provide a clearance of 0.6604 mm (0.026 in).

1. Verify that the self adjuster lock-out pin has be removed.
  2. Fully apply and release the park brake pedal 3 times.
  • Install the intermediate cable.
    Object Number: 363830  Size: SH

• Connect the intermediate cable to the front cable.
  • Connect the equalizer to the rear park brake cables.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Object Number: 493216  Size: SH

• Install the nut to the threaded end of the intermediate cable.

Tighten
    Tighten the nut to 3.5 N·m (31 lb in).

• Remove the safety stands.
  • Lower the vehicle.
  • Adjust the park brake system.
  • Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Reply to goodwrench9124's Post: The rear brakes on the truck are disk brakes. Are you saying I have to remove the caliper and rotor to get to an adjustment screw to tighten the e brake pads? Also, there is no cable adjustment on this truck. The rear cables connect, then to an intermediate cable, then to the front cable, then into the cab. The cable is fairly tight and the e brake engages some what.

yes, you do have to remove the rear calipers and rotors to get to the adjusters. not one of gm's better ideas. there is also some updated parts for these e-brakes.

Subject:Rear Parking Brake Shoe Retaining Spring Clip Service Kit for Drum-in-Hat (DIH) Equipped Vehicles

Models:2004-2005 Buick Rainier
    2002-2005 Cadillac Escalade Models
    2002-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche
    1998-2005 Chevrolet Blazer
    1999-2005 Chevrolet Silverado Models
    2000-2005 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
    2002-2005 Chevrolet SSR, TrailBlazer Models
    2003-2005 Chevrolet Astro, Express
    1998-2005 GMC Jimmy
    1999-2005 GMC Sierra Models
    2000-2005 GMC Yukon Models
    2002-2005 GMC Envoy Models
    2003-2005 GMC Safari, Savana
    1998-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada
    This Bulletin ONLY applies to 1500 series vehicles with four wheel disc brakes.

Object Number: 887031  Size: MF

A rear parking brake retaining spring clip kit has been released for service. This kit consists of two parking brake hold down spring clips (2) and bolts (3).

Notice: Use J 46277 Rotor Removal Tool with J 6125-B Slide Hammer to remove the rotor from the vehicle. Place J 46277 between the rotor surfaces in the vent section of the rotor. DO NOT place J 46277 on the back side of the rotor surface, it may damage the rotor surface.

During rear brake rotor removal, it is possible to damage the parking brake shoe retaining spring clip. Order this new kit when replacement of the clips is required but the parking brake shoes do not require replacement.

Experience: Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified