techspert
techspert, former shop owner
Experience:  Former ASE cert tech,shop owner of a diagnostic shop
9303788

1995 Chevy: My speedometer and tachometer both stoped working..gages

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Chevy C1500. My speedometer and tachometer both stoped working. All the other gages seem to be working. Can you tell me where to start looking?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  techspert replied 6 years ago.
Hello! Chevrolet has a known problem with faulty instrument clusters. There is a special policy they came out with. They will replace the instrument cluster on affected vehicles up to 100,000 miles, regardless of ownership at NO COST TO YOU. All you need to do is contact a CHEVY dealer, give them your vehicle identification number-VIN- and current mileage. They can then run that info through GM, and make sure you have a vehicle covered under this policy. They can then order you a new cluster. They may want you to come into the service dept just to verify, but most can do this over the phone and call you when the cluster comes in. Usually takes 1-2 days. This way you are not inconvienced and left without a vehicle.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I searched the internet to try to find any recalls or service bulletins for the instrument cluster for my truck and could not find anything. I do not accept your answer.
Expert:  techspert replied 6 years ago.
It is not a recall nor is it a technical service bulletin. It is a special ploicy from GM. Only certain vehicles within certain VIN break points are affected. That's why I mentioned to you, to call your local CHEVY dealer with the info. If yours is not one of them, you may want to check you VSS signal.(Vehicle speed sensor).
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

The number is XXXXX and it only covers the 03 and 04 year models and it only goes to 70,000 miles and 7 years. Thanks

#07187A: Special Coverage Adjustment-Instrument Panel Cluster Gauge Needle Functions - (Nov 8, 2007)

Subject:07187A -- SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT - INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER GAUGE NEEDLE FUNCTION

Models:2003-2004 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT
2003-2004 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE
2003-2004 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL

THE SERVICE PROCEDURE IN THIS BULLETIN HAS BEEN REVISED. IN A SMALL NUMBER OF VEHICLES, THE GAUGE SWEEP TEST MAY NOT ALWAYS CONFIRM THE CONDITION. PLEASE REVIEW THE SERVICE PROCEDURE IMMEDIATELY.

DUE TO PART AVAILABILITY, THIS SPECIAL COVERAGE IS BEING ADMINISTERED IN PHASES. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED AS EACH ADDITIONAL PHASE IS RELEASED.

CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT. DEALERS ARE TO OBTAIN THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WHEN SCHEDULING A SERVICE APPOINTMENT. THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WILL BE REQUIRED WHEN PLACING AN ORDER FOR THE IPC.

Condition

Some customers of 2003-2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that one or more of the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the instrument panel cluster after the condition has been verified. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 28, 2007 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 28, 2007, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2003-2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles built within the following VIN breakpoints:

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Another problem with the truck i found is the transmission does not shift and the little indicator light that shows what gear it is in goes out as soon as the truck starts. I have only been driving the truck a few miles to work and did not notice this before.
Expert:  techspert replied 6 years ago.
I am assuming you mean the truck will not show you what gear you're in, and not that the truck won't shift. You are still driving the truck to work?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I mean the truck will not shift. I put it in drive and the shifter indicater does not show me that it is in drive,then when i start driving the transmission does not shift.
Expert:  techspert replied 6 years ago.

Does the service engine soon light go on with the key on and engine off? If so, is the service engine soon light on when driving?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The service engine light soon does come on with the ignition on and the engine off, but does not come on while driving. The check gages light does come on for a few seconds while driving. I thought this was because the tachometer and the speedometer were not working. All the other gages are working.
Expert:  techspert replied 6 years ago.

Check the vehicle speed sensor signal. Located at trans. If the ECM isn't seeing a signal from the sensor, the speedo will not read and will also cause you a shifting concern. You can check this with a scanner or a DVOM.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does that effect the tachometer also?
Expert:  techspert replied 6 years ago.

Not necessarily. The signal goes through a buffer in the instrument cluster. If the signal from the VSS is good, then we are right back to a problem in the instrument cluster.

techspert, former shop owner
Experience: Former ASE cert tech,shop owner of a diagnostic shop
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't understand. Would a bad instrument cluster cause the transmission not to shift or are you saying i have more than one problem
Expert:  frank replied 6 years ago.

Does it seem that you have only 3 rd gear unless you manually shift it?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not tried to manual shift, but it does seem to be in 2nd or 3rd gear.
Expert:  frank replied 6 years ago.
Check the fuses in the fuse box for power on the trans fuse at least-With multiple shift solenoid codes,the trans in 3rd gear default and a cluter that is put you have bad ignition switch
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The fuses were ok
Expert:  frank replied 6 years ago.
Tiu checked with a teats light to make sure you have power?