2003 chevy trailblazer: alternator..dash board gauges dropped..flicker

I have a 2003 chevy trailblazer LTZ . The alternator broke, dash board gauges dropped to zero , digital display flicker, gauges worked again but dropped a few times. Alternator replaced by service mechanic. I saw the alternator working by the mechanic''s gauge and the dashboard gauge. BUT after app 30sec from the car start, the red battery gauge lights and the digital display message says" Battery not charging" . I believe it is charging. Mechanic does not know what to do. Any ideas ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
Has your mechanic used a scan tool on this vehicle at all?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I do not think so. I am suppose to bring it back to them in a day or so.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
OK well there are a few items other than the alternator that are involved in this system. The powertrain control module is what cycles the alternator off and on. If this is not functioning as it should you will see the message. The problem is if this is the case, you more than likely will end up with a dead battery. This is where the scan tool comes into play. You must go into the powertrain control module to verify that the charging system is in the operating range. This would be 10-15 volts. If the charging system is in those ranges and the message is still shown, I would check all the connections at the instrument panel, and the powertrain control module. If these are all ok, you are going to end up needing an instrument panel. Feel free to contact me with any questions or if you would prefer a second opinion! Good luck!