JHoop
JHoop, Chevy Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

When installing the serpentine belt on a 2002 suburban ...

Customer Question

When installing the serpentine belt on a 2002 suburban 1500 4.8 L engine, what is the last pully that you pull the belt over? I can''t seem to get enough slack!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

Ok...There is 2 belts. So I will assume you are talking about the Front long one.

-Are you wrapping it around like shown in this diagram?
graphic
-Are you turning the Tensioner over far enough?
-Is it possible that maybe you have got the wrong belt? (check it up against the old one)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi JHoop,

Yes, it is the front, longer belt. The A/C belt went on easily. Yes, the routing is correct, and I am turning the tensioner until it hits a stop. I have already compared the belt to the one that came off and it is the correct length.

I am approaching it from the top, if that makes any difference.

Lance
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
Yes. You should wrap it from the bottom to the top, allowing the slack to be at the top. Then roll the tensioner, and slide it on. The tensioner should be very hard to turn. If its going all the way around to a stop before you can get the belt on, something is wrong there. Is the Tensioner tight to turn? or is it loose?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The tensioner is springy and difficult to turn, but moves smoothly. The tensioner rotates somewhere between 90-110 degrees before stopping.
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
Do you have the Air Breather Tube and all that out of the way? I can't see any reason why this belt is not slipping on, where you just removed the old one and it is the exact same length and you are putting it on as shown is the diagram above. Unless, the old belt is incorrect also. Which could explain the belt being worn in the first place.
JHoop, Chevy Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I have the breather tube off. I'm thinking about loosening the idler pully to get more slack. what do you think?
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
That won't help you. That just spins.

-Is it catching between the Crank Pulley and the AC Area?
graphic
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
Take every inchling or Slack, and work it all the way up to the Alternator. The Clearance may only be hairs, but work it over tooth by tooth. That belt will go on. There is no telling how many times i've had to remove and/or replace that very belt.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, it is not. I have even had another person hold the tensioner at the stop so I could try with both hands to slip the belt over the last pully, trying different pullys and the idler, but I just don't have enough slack. I'm using a "Gates" brand belt for what it's worth. Is there anything else that is adjustable for additional slack? So, you are saying that the alternator is the best "last" pully?
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
Yes. The Alternator is the best last pull. No. there is no other way to get additional slack. Yes. Gates makes a decent belt. Yes. You could be the grand prize winner of a defective belt. Yes the Tensioner might be defective, but not likely. Yes the Belt will go on if you have wrapped it around all the pulleys as shown for the 2002 Chevy Truck K 1500 Suburban 4WD V8-4.8L VIN.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the grand prize.
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
LOL... Thanks..... If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop