ZZDaryl
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience:  28 year experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

97 Chevy Blazer: key fob..The dealership gave me the proceedure

Customer Question

I am trying to program a new key fob for a 97 Chevy Blazer. The dealership gave me the proceedure for doing this on a 98, but didnt have it for the 97. I have tried the 98 proceedure and cant get it to work. Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 8 years ago.

Try this!

1. With ignition switch in OFF position, hold down power unlock button on door panel. Turn ignition switch to ON position, then OFF. Turn ignition switch to ON position, then OFF a second time. Release power unlock button on door panel. Receiver will respond by locking and then unlocking all doors and unlatching rear window (utility vehicles only) to indicate programming mode.

2. Hold down LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on transmitter for 15 seconds. Receiver should respond by locking then unlocking all doors and unlatching rear window (utility vehicles only).

3. Repeat step 2) for each additional transmitter. All extra transmitters MUST be reprogrammed at this time. When a new transmitter is reprogrammed, old transmitters will be deactivated.

4. Turn ignition to ON position to exit transmitter mode.

RESYNCHRONIZATION 1. Resynchronization may be necessary due to security methods used by Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system. Transmitters do not send the same signal twice. Receiver will not respond to a signal it has been sent previously preventing recording and playback of transmitter signal. Resynchronization will be necessary if and of the following occur:

? Transmitter battery is very weak.

? Transmitter battery is changed.

? Vehicle battery is very weak.

? Vehicle battery is replaced.

? Vehicle battery is disconnected.

To resynchronize transmitter to receiver, stand within 5 feet of vehicle and simultaneously depress and hold LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on transmitter for 7 seconds. Door locks should cycle to confirm resynchronization.