Joel
Joel, Auto technician
Experience:  GM, ASE Certified Technician. Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds. Over 18 Years experience and growing.
5217488

2003 cavalier: the daytime running light is..headlight..low beam

Customer Question

I have a 2003 cavalier and the daytime running light is flashing.I thought it was due to a bad headlight so I replaced it both to be exact.I still have the flashing and only one low beam is working.Both high beams are working.I also changed the relay for the daytime running lights.What else could it be?I am thinking about changing the headlight switch.Any suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joel replied 8 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

This sounds like you have a wiring problem. The harness behind both headlights, and runs on the front support bar between the teo healamp assemblies is a known place for wiring problems. Inside that harness, between the two assemblies, water gets into the harness and can corrod a slpice, or any wire in the harness. Need to remove both lamps, strip the covering from the harness at each lamp as it goes down into the lamp cavity, and trace the wires to and from both sides. You will need to pull on the wires as you go along removing more of the insulation/tape. You will most likely find a broken wire or splice near the light that is not working.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joel's Post: what about the daytime running light module?Could it be bad?I dont think it is a wiring issue due to it just quit with no warning.I havent seen a wiring issue that didnt give any warning like blowing fuses or something.
Expert:  Joel replied 8 years ago.
Module is a possibility, the harness problem is quite common. With the one headlight not working, that is a sure sign of a wiring problem in the areas described.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joel's Post: Didnt see any splices for the headlights.Also there is a fuse for each headlight.I cut all the tape and followed it and didnt see a problem.Any other ideas?
Expert:  Joel replied 8 years ago.

If fuses are good, check for power at the headlight that does not work with the headlight switch in the on postion at the dark blue wire.

There is a drl resistor on the outboard of the rt.frame rail. Accessed through the wheel well.(see pic) Ohm spec is .3 ohms. also, the bcm controls the drl relay.

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joel's Post: I saw that but didnt know what it was.I will check that in the morning.If that dosent pan out what next?
Expert:  Joel replied 8 years ago.
Then you would need to do some voltage checks at the relay to see if it is activating, and go from there.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I dove deeper into the harness and took it out to look at it and you were correct.There was a broken wire in the harness.Thanks for all your help.
Expert:  Joel replied 8 years ago.
Glad to hear you found it. This is a common problem.