Wrenchtech
Wrenchtech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40 years experience with ASE certification as Master Technician with L1--Repair Shop Owner
7136321

How to program the keyless entry key fob for a 2000 Chevy Silverado

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Wrenchtech replied 6 years ago.
TRANSMITTER SYNCHRONIZING

• Resynchronization may be necessary due to the security method used by the remote keyless entry system. The transmitter does not send the same signal twice to the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) .
  • The RCDLR will not respond to a signal that has been sent previously. This prevents anyone from recording and playing back the signal from the transmitter.
  • The panic button should still operate normally when the system is out of synchronization.
  • Resynchronization may be necessary under the following conditions:
  • The battery in the transmitter is very weak.
  • The battery in the transmitter was replaced.
  • The battery in the vehicle has been in a low or no charge condition for an extended period of time.
  • In order to resynchronize the transmitter with the RCDLR, perform the following steps:
  1. Stand within 1.5 meters (5 ft) from the vehicle.
  2. Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter for 7 seconds . The door locks should cycle in order to confirm resynchronization.

TRANSMITTER PROGRAMMING

1. Start with the ignition OFF, hold down the power unlock button on the door panel. Turn ignition key ON, OFF, ON, OFF. Release power unlock button on the door panel. The locks will cycle once.
  2. Hold down the keyless entry transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons for 15 seconds . The locks will again cycle once.
  3. Repeat step #2 for each additional keyless entry transmitter.
Turn the ignition on to exit the keyless entry transmitter programming mode. Programming is now complete.

Method 2-Scan Tool Required In the event that a transmitter is lost, program the old and the new transmitters into the memory of the remote control door lock receiver. Up to 4 transmitters may be programmed. IMPORTANT: Once the keyless entry receiver enters the programming/diagnostic mode, the programming of the first transmitter erases all previous transmitter programming information. You must then program all of the transmitters. Program only 1 vehicle remote control door lock receiver at a time. If you program multiple receivers simultaneously, the same transmitter may possibly be programmed to more than 1 remote control door lock receiver. The following procedure describes how to program the remote control door lock transmitters to the remote control door lock receiver using the Tech 2(R) You may also use an equivalent scan tool in order to perform this procedure. Perform the following steps:
  1. Connect the scan tool to the following components:
    • An applicable power source
    • The vehicle data link connector (DLC)
  1. Turn the ignition ON.
  2. At the application menu screen, select F0 (body control module).
  3. At the body control module screen, select F2 (special functions).
  4. At the special functions menu screen, select F3 (program key fobs).
  5. Follow the directions on the scan tool display in order to program the transmitters.
  6. Press EXIT repeatedly until you view the application menu screen.
  7. Disconnect the scan tool from the following components:
    • The accessory power port
    • he vehicle DLC
  1. Validate that all the transmitters that were programmed operate properly. Refer to Remote Keyless Entry System Operation.

Wrenchtech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 40 years experience with ASE certification as Master Technician with L1--Repair Shop Owner