I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer 4.3 liter. The engine has a ...

I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer 4.3 liter. The engine has a ticking noise which comes and goes, which could be a lifter, valve or some oil pump problem. Sometimes it is loud and other times not. But it isn''t consistent.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
Does this noise seem to be any different depending on engine temperature or if the engine has set without running for a while?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: well, it doesn't matter if it is hot or cold. Sometimes it runs great after sitting all night. other times, it starts up with this ticking noise. Sometimes it is louder, but, either way, it goes away after driving for about 20 minutes. The mechanic I visited said he needed to hear it before he could make a an opinion, but by the time I get there, it is running smoothly.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
If the noise is going away after driving for a 20 minute period, I would feel that you are on the right track with the lifter problem. Normally what happens is that the spring pressure of the valve spring causes for the lifter to bleed oil out of the lifter. The lifter then refills with oil as you drive it, thus the noise going away. Honestly it is hard to find the exact lifter that is causing the problem so most of the time it is best to simply replace all of them to avoid missing a noisey one. I would also advise you to use gm replacement lifters to avoid having a faulty non oem lifter problem. I have personally used the brand melling and have had the same problem repeat until I used the oem gm units. They are more money, but they are worth the peace of mind knowing that the repair will be correct when it is done. Feel free to contact me with any questions or if you would prefer a second opinion! Good luck!