Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)

1999 Chevy S10: LE..quit working..the blower motor or to the resistor

Customer Question

1999 Chevy S10 LE, AC/Heat blower quit working in all positions. The Blower appears to be bad because it will not run when applying voltage directly to it. However, there is no voltage going to the blower motor or to the resistor. All fuses appear good. AC is working because I can hear the compressor pull in and the de-fogger is working. Any suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.

When you put voltage to the blower motor direct, did you also put a jumper wire on the motor to make sure it had a ground? Voltage in will onlyhelp if it also has a ground path for the motor? Just a thought. May want to check for that before you buy another motor. As for the no power to the rsistor or the motor, have you also checked the relay and the blower switch in the control panel for power into and out of it. The relay is item 2 in the picture below. If you need a wiring diagram, let me know. (This is for an S10 pick up)Thanks

Object Number: 531763  Size: MF

(1)Blower Motor and Connector
(2)Blower Motor Relay
(3)Blower Motor Resistor and Connector

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: Bob,
Thanks for a reply. As for the ground to the motor, I put +12 volts dc on one pin of the motor connector and ground to the other. I bought an auto store manual that has some electrical diagrams but not a diagram showing this circuit. I assumed that this relay was the blower motor relay and applied voltage (and ground) to its coil. It energized (I could hear it) but I did not check its contacts. I believe you're correct when you say that if this relay is good, it will be either the control panel switch or wiring from it to the relay. I will need that electrical diagram you offered before I proceed to my dashboard.
Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.

Well, it sounds like you need the motor for sure. And I am sending the diagram so you can track down the reason for no power to it. Keep me informed. Thanks

Heater Blower Controls Schematics

Cell 60

Object Number: 371114  Size: FS

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks again for the reply. I haven't fixed my problem yet but I'm sure that the diagram and assistance you provided will most certainly help me accomplish my repair. However, I will accept this answer now so your payment will not be held up. Is there a way to keep you posted of the progress on this repair without incurring another charge? Let me know and I'll let you know.

Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.
Do appreciate the accept. And do want you to keep me posted. Just post right back here to the question and don't hit the accept. If somehow the question gets closed, it should not unless you close or delete it. Just post a new one with my name in the subject line. Wish you luck with it. And thanks for using JA
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Just getting back to you to let you know how my project ended up. The resistor was bad and the blower motor was bad. I bought new ones and when I installed the motor, I found that a mouse had gotten up inside of the blower housing and built a nest. This apparently jammed the motor causing the thermal cutoff in the resistor to overheat and open. I replaced the parts and everything works well now. After I got the original motor out, I removed all of the debris from the shaft and bearing and it works now so I have an extra. Thanks again for the assistance and the diagram. It made the difference. Customer
Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.
Good deal, happy that you got her working again. Charge that mouse rent! Thanks for the Update, it is appreciated. Bob