Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
5229702

How do I remove the wiper arm on my 1998 Chevy Malibu

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Greg A replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

Are you trying to replace the whole arm, or just the blade?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Greg A's Post: I want to remove the whole arm so I can get at the washer lines in the arm - one is not working
Expert:  Greg A replied 6 years ago.

OK. Here is the procedure.

Wiper Arm Replacement

Removal Procedure

graphic

1. Mark the position of the wiper blade on the windshield with a suitable marker or a piece of masking tape.
  2. Raise the hood.
  3. Disconnect the washer hose.
  4. Remove the cover from the nut on the wiper arm.
  5. Remove the nut from the wiper arm.

Important

Use a battery terminal puller to remove the wiper arm if rocking the wiper arm fails to loosen it from the drive shaft.

6. Rock the wiper arm back and forth to loosen it from the drive shaft.
  7. Remove the wiper arm from the drive shaft.
  8. Clean the knurls of the drive shaft with a wire brush.

Installation Procedure

graphic

1. Position the wiper arm so that the wiper blade aligns with the mark made on the windshield before removal.
  2. Install the wiper arm onto the drive shaft.

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the nut on the drive shaft. Tighten

Tighten to the nut to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

4. Install the cover on the nut.
  5. Connect the washer hose.
  6. Lower the hood.
  7. Clean the position mark or masking tape from the windshield.
  8. Operate the wipers and inspect for proper operation.

I hope this helps.

Take Care, Greg A.

Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience: Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years