John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician

2003 Chevy Impala LS: The blower motor/fan..blower resistor..module

Customer Question

The blower motor/fan on my 2003 Chevy Impala LS works intermittently. It did work but only on highest setting (5), so I replaced the blower resistor module. Worked great for a few weeks and now works intermittently no matter what setting. Some days I can get one or two of the other positions to work when (5) does not. Some days no position works. Checked ALL fuses (All Good) and searched for any relays in the passenger compartment fuses (2 locations) and underhood fuses (2 locations) but found none. Purchased another new blower resistor module and installed last night but the fan still would not turn on. Checked a few things as specified in Hanes Repair manual but the blower resistor module looks much different than the one shown in the picture and the manual states that the Relay should be removed from the harness/connector. It appears the relay for my car is built into the blower resistor module and does not have a screw (Hanes manual says to "remove screw to remove relay fro
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

Any type of intermitten problem is a larger problem.The voltage starts at the junction power block at the left side of instrument panel(a/c fan fuse 20 amp).You will need to follow the path thru the HVAC control module(center of dash),to the blower motor resistor assembly & to the motor.Yes, your blower motor resistor assy. has the relay internal.Check these components & connections using a volt meter or test light.Be sure & check ground 202(under the instrument panel in the center).I am sending a schematic to help you.

Object Number: 677935  Size: FS