MasterTechMerlin
MasterTechMerlin, Certified Technician, Diesel or Gas
Experience:  Master Certification, Vehicle Electronics and Engine Controls a specialty....
6972454

1994 Chevy S10: s key is stuck in the ignition and I cant turn it

Customer Question

My 1994 Chevy S10''s key is stuck in the ignition and I can''t turn it at all. How do I get it out or even get it to start
Category: Chevy
Expert:  MasterTechMerlin replied 8 years ago.

HeyCustomer

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if indeed you cannot remove the key from the ignition and cannot turn the key either way, then you're going to have no choice but to drill out and then replace the ignition lock cylinder.

If you are able to wiggle, jiggle, or in any other fasion, move the keyswitch backwards to the accessory position, then you will be able to remove the entire cylinder from the steering column and repace it.

If you can move the key backwards, then after doing so, if you look on the underside of the portion of the column where the lock cylinder is inserted, you will see a smal hole right about where your eyes imagine the tip of the key is.

While the switch is turned backwards insert a paper clip into the small hole and push in. At the same time, pull out on the key/cylinder and it should come right out. You might have to wiggle a little while you are pulling. Once the cylinder is out, you can reach in with a screwdriver and turn the actuator for the ignition (starter, etc.)

Good Luck........

Let me know how it goes....

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks for the advice. I couldn't use it though. I had to get my car towed to the garage before I got your answer.