John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician

Pontiac G6: drivers..radiator..Air bag and the main module

I am repairing a 06 pontiac G6 with the drivers air bag deployed. I have replaced the 2 modules on the radiator support,Clock spring, Air bag and the main module.Is there anything else I need to replace? Now I need to reset the light . How is this done? Thank you for any help.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

After an accident there are a few things to check & replace.I am sending info that should help you.When this is completes use a Tech 2 scan tool & select SIR system.Check for failure codes & clear codes.After this it is a good idea to test the vehicle from entering the vehicle to driving & see if the computer passes self tests.

SIR Disabling and Enabling

SIR component location affects how a vehicle should be serviced. There are parts of the SIR system installed in various locations around a vehicle. To find the location of the SIR components, refer to SIR Identification Views .

There are several reasons for disabling the SIR system, such as repairs to the SIR system or servicing a component near or attached to an SIR component. There are several ways to disable the SIR system depending on what type of service is being performed. The following information covers the proper procedures for disabling/enabling the SIR system.

Condition

Action

If the vehicle was involved in an accident with an air bag deployment.

Disconnect the negative battery cable(s) *. Refer to Repairs and Inspections Required After a Collision .

When performing SIR diagnostics.

Follow the appropriate SIR service manual diagnostic procedure(s) *

When removing or replacing an SIR component or a component attached to an SIR component.

Disconnect the negative battery cable(s) *

If the vehicle is suspected of having shorted electrical wires.

When performing electrical diagnosis on components other than the SIR system.

Remove the SIR/Airbag fuse(s) when indicated by the diagnostic procedure to disable the SIR system

* DTCs will be lost when the negative battery cable is disconnected.

SIR Service Precautions

Caution: When performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, the SIR system must be disabled. Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SIR components. Serious injury can occur. Failure to observe the correct procedure could also result in unnecessary SIR system repairs.

The inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) maintains a reserved energy supply. The reserved energy supply provides deployment power for the air bags if the SDM loses battery power during a collision. Deployment power is available for as much as 1 minute after disconnecting the vehicle power. Waiting 1 minute before working on the system after disabling the SIR system prevents deployment of the air bags from the reserved energy supply.

General Service Instructions

The following are general service instructions which must be followed in order to properly repair the vehicle and return it to its original integrity:

Do not expose inflator modules to temperatures above 65°C (150°F).
Verify the correct replacement part number. Do not substitute a component from a different vehicle.
Use only original GM replacement parts available from your authorized GM dealer. Do not use salvaged parts for repairs to the SIR system.

Discard any of the following components if it has been dropped from a height of 91 cm (3 ft) or greater:

Inflatable restraint SDM
Any Inflatable restraint air bag module
Inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil
Any Inflatable restraint sensor
Inflatable restraint seat belt pretensioners
Inflatable restraint passenger presence system (PPS) module or sensor

Disabling Procedure - Air Bag Fuse

1. Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicles wheels are pointing straight ahead.
  2. Place the ignition in the OFF position.

Important: The SDM may have more than one fused power input. To ensure there is no unwanted SIR deployment, personal injury, or unnecessary SIR system repairs, remove all fuses supplying power to the SDM. With all SDM fuses removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, the AIR BAG warning indicator illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate a SIR system malfunction.

3. Locate and remove the fuse(s) supplying power to the SDM. Refer to SIR Schematics or Electrical Center Identification Views .
  4. Wait 1 minute before working on the system.

Enabling Procedure - Air Bag Fuse

1. Place the ignition in the OFF position.
  2. Install the fuse(s) supplying power to the SDM. Refer to SIR Schematics or Electrical Center Identification Views .
  3. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. The AIR BAG indicator will flash then turn OFF.
  4. Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle if the AIR BAG warning indicator does not operate as described. Refer to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle .

Disabling Procedure - Negative Battery Cable

3. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
  4. Wait 1 minute before working on system.

Enabling Procedure - Negative Battery Cable

Experience: A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician