Jaxer Smith
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 yrs Experience and Own and Operate My Own Service Center

95 camaro: 3.4 v6 with 5 speed trans how do you..bleed..slave..master

Customer Question

have a 95 camaro 3.4 v6 with 5 speed trans how do you bleed the clutch system without a bleeder it has a new clutch kit ,slave cyclinder and clutdh master cyclinder.it will pump up half way but when you release the pedal all the way you loose it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jaxer Smith replied 6 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer!

I have added the procedure below. If you need further assistance let me know. Don't forget to Click Accept!

HYDRAULIC SYSTEM BLEEDING

Bleeding air from the hydraulic clutch system is necessary whenever any part of the system has been disconnected or the fluid level (in the reservoir) has been allowed to fall so low that air has been drawn into the master cylinder.

WARNING
NEVER use fluid which has been bled from a clutch system to fill the master cylinder reservoir, as it may be aerated, have too much moisture and/or be contaminated.

Except 1996-98 5-Speed Transmissions <---use this one
  1. Loosen the master cylinder nuts to the end of the threads on the U-bolt.
  2. Use a shop towel to clean the dirt and grease from the reservoir cap to avoid getting and foreign debris in the system.
  3. Remove the reservoir cap and diaphragm.
  4. Wrap a suitable piece of wire around the left-hand hood strut bracket, making sure the wire can be accessed from under the vehicle.
  5. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  6. Remove the actuator cylinder nuts, then remove the actuator cylinder. Secure the actuator cylinder in the engine compartment using the wire previously installed.
  7. Carefully lower the vehicle.
  8. Grasp the actuator cylinder and depress the actuator cylinder pushrod about 0.0787 in. (20mm) into the cylinder bore and hold.
  9. Have an assistant install the diaphragm and reservoir cap while holding the actuator pushrod in. Release the pushrod.
  10. Hold the actuator cylinder lower than the master cylinder, vertically with the pushrod end facing down.
  11. Press the pushrod into the actuator cylinder bore with short 0.0390 in. (10mm) strokes. Check the master cylinder reservoir for bubbles.
  12. Continue until bubbles are not longer entering the reservoir.
  13. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  14. Remove the actuator cylinder from the wire.
  15. Install the actuator cylinder and secure with the retaining nuts. Tighten to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
  16. Carefully lower the vehicle, then remove the wire from the hood strut.
  17. Fill the clutch master cylinder reservoir with the proper type and amount of fluid.
1996-98 5-Speed Transmissions
  1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  2. Attach a hose to the bleeder on the clutch actuator and submerge the other end of the hose in a container of hydraulic clutch fluid.
  3. Have an assistant slowly depress and hold the clutch pedal.
  4. Loosen the bleeder to purge air.
  5. Tighten the bleeder.
  6. Repeat the above 2 steps until all air is completely purged from the system.
  7. Fill the clutch master cylinder reservoir with the proper type and amount of fluid.