goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified
5720312

2002 chevy: floor,defrost,ect ,heat will only come out vent..selector

i have a 2002 chevy s-10 zr-2.when you turn heater knob to vent,floor,defrost,ect ,heat will only come out vent nomatter what position you put selector knob in.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
Do you have auto climate control?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no,i don't have climate control
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your paitence. I having a serious problem accessing the web site that has all of my info that I need to assist you. I am going to opt out to see if any other experts can help you. I will keep an eye on your question and if I gain access I will promptly send you the answer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
please send answer asap thanksCustomer
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 6 years ago.

Hello, this system uses vac actuators to move the mode doors, to direct air flow out the desired positions. make sure you dont have a vac problem from the engine. there is a vac tank mounted in the left fender well that suppls vac to the heater controls. in the picture below, the vac hose runs to the fender well. if the vac hose is ok. next you will want to inspect the mode door actuator mounted under the dash on driver side. inspect this actuator for ant visible problems. finally i have seen the lowe mode door itself break and will not direct airflow to the corect postions.

Mode Actuator Replacement

Removal Procedure

The mode actuator is located on the top left side of the HVAC module.

1. Remove the knee bolster.
    Object Number: 515031  Size: SH

2. Remove the right side driver knee bolster bracket (2) from the steering column bracket (1) and the intermediate bracket (3).
    Object Number: 394104  Size: SH

3. Disconnect the vacuum connectors (1) from the mode actuator (5).
  4. Remove the actuator rod retaining clip (4).
  5. Remove the actuator rod (2) from the mode door lever (3).
    Object Number: 394087  Size: SH

6. Firmly pull on the mode actuator in order to remove the actuator from the HVAC module.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 394087  Size: SH

1. Install the mode actuator. Ensure that the retaining tabs lock into place.
    Object Number: 394104  Size: SH

2. Install the actuator rod (2) to the mode door lever (3).
  3. Install the actuator rod retaining clip (4).
  4. Connect the vacuum connectors (1) to the mode actuator (5).
    Object Number: 515031  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

5. Install the right side driver knee bolster bracket (2) to the steering column bracket (1) and the intermediate bracket (3).

Tighten

Tighten the knee bolster bracket mounting nuts (5) to 5.5 N·m (49 lb in).
    Tighten the intermediate bracket mounting bolts (4) to 10 N·m (88 lb in).

6. Install the knee bolster.

Object Number: 281475  Size: SH

Mode Door Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the heater/vent module.
    Object Number: 696053  Size: SH

2. Remove screws in order to separate the HVAC module halves.
  3. Disconnect the actuator linkage from the door ends.
  4. Remove the air temperature actuator electrical connector.
  5. Remove the air temperature actuator screws.
  6. Remove the air temperature actuator from the module.
  7. Remove the defrost actuator vacuum connector.
  8. Remove the defrost actuator rod retaining clip.
  9. Remove the actuator rod from the defroster door.
  10. Remove the defrost actuator from the module.
  11. Remove the air temperature door from the module.
    Object Number: 687381  Size: SH

12. Remove the mode door (1) from the module.
Experience: Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified