camarochris
camarochris, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  10 years personal experience with GM, Specifically Chevy's
8236281

1998 Chevy Blazer: have a 4l60e trans..rebuilt control valve

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Chevy Blazer and have a 4L60E trans. I have gotten a code 1870, so I purchased on-line a rebuilt control valve body. I removed the old, installed the new. Once running, It would only move forward, no reverse or park. Shut it down, it will not move backwards in Reverse or Neutral even pushing. It seems that the parking paw, reverse paw is always engaged. Suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  camarochris replied 6 years ago.
All right My name is XXXXX XXXXX lets see if I can help. I had this problem with a turbo 350 once and if I remember correctly there should have been a spring or little metal rod that is not hooked up. When you removed the valve body did you remove anything with the shifter linkage inside the trans? Or anything like the spring mentioned above?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to camarochris's Post: The rod with the spring was not removed, and the spring compresses when I move it into park, and is released some in Reverse, and then goes limp in the rest of the postions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I never did anything with that part of the linkage, did use the link to the valve body. When I removed the valve body a 2nd time, it seems to work, where it does not lock up. I am at a lose for an answer, that is why I come to just answer.
Can you tell me what else you had to pull apart to change the valve body? Also the little gasket that you used might have gotten moved around when reinstalled and isn't letting the fluid go where it is suppose to.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I pulled the pan, the control valve body, and there is a flat bar that hold the two gaskets and plate in place, along with a servo looking item. On the top side (above the plate) of the servo there is a spring and a ball bearing. There is a link that goes from the shift selector to the control valve body. These are the only items I removed and replaced. I coated the plate with a fine coat of vasoline to hold the gaskets in place and also used some vasoline to hold the ball bearings in place in the control valve body when I replaced it. I did nothing with the shift selector or the rod with spring going back to the reverse/park paw.
Is it possible that the gasket shifted when you installed the valve body? From what you've told me that is the only thing I can think of other than that little ball bearing and spring but that should only control shift pressure.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In doing further research, I have found that the bolts that hold the control valve body to the transmission are three different lengths, and if they are not put back in the proper hole, it can bind the drum and/or reverse/park paw. This is where I think my problems is.
Very possible but i don't know which ones go where. Good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Your answer didn't help with the problem. I got the information from a shop here in Austin. Thank you, John
Sorry I hope things work out for you.