Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

how do i change out the rear diff on a 2002 chevy venture ...

how do i change out the rear diff on a 2002 chevy venture with all wheel drive
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

Here is what I have got for replacing the rear diff in a venture van. Feel free to contact me with any questions and I will assist as best as I can!

• Set the parking brake.
  • Raise and support the vehicle.
  • Remove the right rear tire and wheel assembly.
  • Place a drain pan beneath the differential.
    Object Number: 690489  Size: SH

• Remove the differential drain plug (2).
  • Drain the rear differential gear oil.
  • Disconnect the electrical connector from the clutch pump check valve.
  • Remove the right rear wheel drive shaft.
  • Remove the front propeller shaft.
  • Place an adjustable support beneath the torque tube.
    Object Number: 630649  Size: SH

• Loosen, but do not remove the torque tube-to-bracket through bolt (7) and nut (1).
  • Remove the bolts (5) from the torque tube bracket (4).
    Object Number: 690531  Size: SH

• Remove the differential carrier-to-cradle mounting bolts (5), nuts (1), washers (2), and mounts (3, 4) from the differential.

Important: During the removal of the wheel drive shaft, the differential output shaft may become disengaged from the differential. If this occurs, firmly grasp and separate the output shaft from the wheel drive shaft. Align the splines on the output shaft to the differential and reposition the output shaft to the differential.

• While simultaneously moving the differential assembly to the right side of the vehicle, disengage the left wheel drive shaft from the differential.
  • Remove the rear differential and torque tube as an assembly.
    Object Number: 630652  Size: SH

• Remove the torque tube (1) from the differential (2).Object Number: 630652  Size: SH

• Install the torque tube (1) to the differential.
  • Install the rear differential and torque tube assembly to the suspension cradle.

Simultaneously guide the left wheel drive shaft onto the differential output shaft while positioning the differential assembly to the suspension cradle.

• Place an adjustable support under the torque tube.
  • Ensure that the left wheel drive shaft is fully engaged to the differential output shaft.
    Object Number: 690531  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

• Install the differential carrier mounts (3, 4), washers (2), bolts (5), and nuts (1) to the differential.

Tighten
    Tighten the differential carrier-to-cradle mounting bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

Object Number: 630649  Size: SH

• Install the torque tube bracket-to-body bolts (5).

Tighten

Tighten the torque tube bracket-to-body bolts to 55 N·m (41 lb ft).
    Tighten the torque tube-to-bracket through bolt and nut to 64 N·m (47 lb ft).

• Install the front propeller shaft.
  • Install the right rear wheel drive shaft.
  • Install the right rear tire and wheel assembly.
    Object Number: 690489  Size: SH

• Install the differential drain plug (2) and gasket to the differential.

• Tighten
    Tighten the drain plug to 32 N·m (23 lb ft).

• Remove the differential fill plug (1).
  • Fill the axle with synthetic gear oil..
  • Inspect the differential oil level to ensure it is even with, to no lower than, 6 mm (0.25 in) below the opening of the fill hole.
  • Install the differential fill plug (1) and gasket.

Tighten
    Tighten the fill plug to 32 N·m (23 lb ft).

• Connect the electrical connector to the clutch pump check valve.
  • Remove the adjustable support from the torque tube.
  • Lower the vehicle.
  • Operate the vehicle making tight left, then right turns in order to engage the all-wheel-drive system and distribute the gear oil throughout the differential.
  • Raise and support the vehicle.
  • Remove the differential fill plug.
  • Fill the axle with synthetic gear oil.
  • Install the differential fill plug and gasket.

Tighten

• Lower the vehicle.
  • Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
    Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION