Joel
Joel, Auto technician
Experience:  GM, ASE Certified Technician. Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds. Over 18 Years experience and growing.
5217488

Oldsmobile Alero: My 2002..spark plugs..smell..is a common issue

Customer Question

My 2002 4 door Oldsmobile Alero will not start. The ignition will turn over, I'm getting a spark from the spark plugs, I am laying on the gas and I can't smell it which makes me believe it's a fuel issue. I am reading that this is a common issue with this car but I can't find details. Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joel replied 8 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

Is the theft or security light on or flashing after you try to start it?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joel's Post: Hi Joel,

Forgot to mention that it is not on. When the security light is on it won't even turn over. At that point I have to wait 10 min for reset. That is happening more often now a days so hopefully that's not related
Expert:  Joel replied 8 years ago.

This does sound like all related.

The security dissables the fuel pump and the injector circuit. A common failure of the security system is the ignition lock cylinder. That is also called the passlock sensor. They can be very irratic at causing no starts. sometimes the light will go off, but still be in theft mode. A scan of the system may reveal a code like p2958, 2960, or b2958, 2960. These are telltale signs of the lock cylinder being bad.

If not a security problem, then you need to get fule pressure and injector pulse checked. Have ahd a few fuel pump relays cause this as well as fuel pump itself.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joel's Post: Hi Joel,

If it's the passlock, How do I get around it?
Expert:  Joel replied 8 years ago.

Proper repair is to replace the ign. passlock cylinder if that is the problem. there are some aftermarket systems that can bypadd the factory system, but i never personnaly used them. Here is a link to one such site.....

http://members.tripod.com/~alarmtek/VATS.html

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you Joel! I'm trying to pay you but the system is having issues. I have e-mailed your help desk.

Thanks
Expert:  Joel replied 8 years ago.
OK, thanks. Good luck with repairs and let me know if you need more asistance.