Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

Normal oil pressure range for 2001 Chevrolet 5.7 litre (Suburban)?

What is the normal oil pressure range for 2001 Chevrolet 5.7 litre (Suburban)?

Hello, most of the run close to the center of the gage. Any place from around 20 to 60 psi. Depending on engine RPM. Below is the chart from the GM service manual showing the normal specs that GM requires. They do not list a maximum. Thanks

• Oil Pressure (Minimum--Hot)

41 kPa at 1,000 engine RPM

124 kPa at 2,000 engine RPM

165 kPa at 4,000 engine RPM

6 psig at 1,000 engine RPM

18 psig at 2,000 engine RPM

24 psig at 4,000 engine RPM

• Oil Type

5W-30

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: Here is my immediate problem - My wife is in the suburban about 15 miles from home. I went out in the garage and there is about 1/2 quart of oil on the floor. (She had the oil changed at a "quick-Lube" yesterday, so I figure it is leaking from the oil plug or the filter). Anyway, I need to tell her if it is safe to drive home or park it. What do you think?
You need to have her check the oil before she even starts the motor again, if it is low have her ad some. You can be down to a half quart and still have pressure but that isn't good enough. As long as it has oil in it close to the full mark she will be ok. But, even if you have to drive over and do it your self, it beats having to buy a motor.