Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

Front left..bottom ball joints on my 2003 Chev 2500 Silverado

How do I replace the front left top and bottom ball joints on my 2003 Chev 2500 Silverado?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Lower Control Arm Replacement (With Torsion Bar)

Tools Required

J 43631 Ball Joint Remover
J 45851 Ball Joint Separator Protector Adapters

Removal Procedure

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
  2. Remove the tire and wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .
  3. Remove the stabilizer shaft links from the lower control arm. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Replacement .
  4. Remove the shock absorber lower nut and the bolt. Refer to Shock Absorber Replacement .
  5. Remove the torsion bars. Refer to Torsion Bar Replacement .
  6. Remove the wheel drive shaft. Refer to Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement .
    Object Number: 830506  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  7. Remove the lower ball joint retaining nut.
  8. Disconnect the lower ball joint stud from the steering knuckle using J 43631 and J 45851 .
    Object Number: 348376  Size: SH
  9. Remove the lower control arm nuts and the 15-series washers.
  10. Remove the lower control arm bolts.
    Object Number: 348377  Size: SH
  11. Remove the lower control arm nuts and the 25/35-series washers.
  12. Remove the lower control arm bolts.
  13. Remove the lower control arm.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the lower control arm.
    Object Number: 348376  Size: SH
  2. Install the lower control arm 15-series bolts.
    Object Number: 348377  Size: SH
  3. Install the lower control arm 25/35-series bolts.
    Object Number: 392158  Size: SH
  4. Install the lower control arm washers with the shoulder facing the arm.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

5. Install the lower control arm retaining nuts.

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 175 N·m (129 lb ft).

6. Install the wheel drive shaft. Refer to Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement .
    Object Number: 830506  Size: SH
  7. Connect lower ball joint stud to the steering knuckle.
  8. Install the retaining nut to the lower ball joint stud.

Tighten
    Tighten the nut to 100 N·m (74 lb ft).

9. Install the torsion bars. Refer to Torsion Bar Replacement .
  10. Install the shock absorber lower nut and bolt. Refer to Shock Absorber Replacement .
  11. Install the stabilizer shaft links to the lower control arm. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Replacement .
  12. Install the tire and wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .
  13. Remove the safety stands.
  14. Lower the vehicle.
  15. Align the vehicle. Refer to Measuring Wheel Alignment .
  16. Lower Control Arm Ball Joint Replacement (Torsion Bar Suspension)

Removal Procedure

2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .
    3. Remove the lower control arm. Refer to Lower Control Arm Replacement .
    4. Place the lower control arm in a bench vice.
    5. Using a chisel, remove the securing crimps from the ball joint body, if equipped.
    6. Using a press, remove the ball joint from the lower control arm.

Installation Procedure

Important: Use the outer flange of the ball joint in order to press the ball joint into place.

1. Install the new ball joint using a press.
    2. Place the lower control arm in a bench vice.
    3. Using a punch, install crimps to the ball joint, if necessary. Use the replaced ball joint as a reference.
    4. Install the lower control arm. Refer to Lower Control Arm Replacement .
    5. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .
    6. Remove the safety stands.
    7. Lower the vehicle.
    8. Verify the wheel alignment. Refer to Measuring Wheel Alignment .
Dan, Auto Technician
Experience: GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified