Joel
Joel, Auto technician
Experience:  GM, ASE Certified Technician. Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds. Over 18 Years experience and growing.
5217488

2004 Impala: passenger side..hood..compartment..a leaking windshield

My 2004 Impala 4-door sedan is getting water in the back seat well after heavy rain. Our first thought was clogged sunroof drains, which we had checked, next--during the check we discovered we could get water into the front seat well because it appears a drain on the passenger side "cowling" beneath the windshield under the hood (atop the windshield at it''s bottom) is overflowing and raising a water level which allows water to run into the passenger compartment from behind and under the glovebox. 1) Does this indicate a leaking windshield or some type of seal or is the blocked drain causing the problem by itsel?? 2) Our original water was always in the back seat well--the test put water in the fromnt seat well--could a slower paced leak be getting to the backseat well somehow from the blocked cowling drain or do I potentially have two leaking issues--very hard to diagnose?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joel replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome. The water leak in the front is most suredly traveling to the back.

Look undrr the pass. side of the dash and see if the blower motor is showing signs of rust .

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The blower motor is housed with plastic and consequently hard to see but the mounting screws do not show rust nor is there any discoloration or residue in the area that would indicate water intrusion over a period of time.

The car is kept outside and we live in a forested area where there are heavy tree droppings that get into all the seams and drain areas.
Expert:  Joel replied 6 years ago.

The pass. side of the cowl under the cowl panel, and below the windshield should not be filling up with water around blower air intake area. Possibly that panel is leaking into that arean not sealing against the windshield.

with living in the wooded area you describe, would suggest a high pressure hose into the cowl area as it conncts to the pass. inner fender aea. Water should drain between the inner fender ewll splach shield, and the inner fender.

Joel, Auto technician
Experience: GM, ASE Certified Technician. Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds. Over 18 Years experience and growing.