frank, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  33 years experience,24 years of Chevroler/GM experience and training .ASE Recertified Master Tech,

2001 GMC: electrical and stuck..Shift solenoid..tranny shop..Reverse

Customer Question

2001 GMC Jimmy with no previous transmission issues. about a week ago, I received the electrical and stuck off codes for Shift solenoid B. I brought it to a tranny shop and they repaired this solenoid. Reverse and one high gear forward worked... seemed to be 3rd or 4th. I got it back yesterday, and now it starts in a low gear (1 or 2), and then shifts once around 30 mph, but the shift seems to be very 'slippery' when more than just a little power is given. This morning, the check engine light went on again and I got another code: P0751 shift solenoid A perf. or stuck off. This code wasn't there previously, and I have been reading around and it sounds like it could be some sort of electrical problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  frank replied 8 years ago.
You could have a open in power to the shift solenoin inside the trans- a problem in the control or ground wire inside or outside of the trans- a bad sollllenoid or a bad valve body.Theese things need to be checked and tested first before any definitive answwer is given .And the solenoid can be put into a pressuiezed test block and operated to see if it is indeed sticking.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to frank's Post: Thanks for the info. I also forgot to mention that just today, when this problem started happening again, I cannot remove the key from the ignition when I turn it off. I cannot turn the key all the way back to the position where it is removed. I have heard that this could indicate an electrical problem. Have you seen or heard of something like this relating to the other situation?
Expert:  frank replied 8 years ago.
Some models the interlock needs to be powerd up tp turn the key to lock-check for power on all your fuses-under hood and ls of dash.The ignition switchs are known for issues and the trans not shifting is one of them and usually all the solenoids set codes and you will have 1 forward gearm3rd ,unless you manualy shift it and you will also have gauge issues.