Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

2003 chevy: All instrument cluster gauges quit today..speedo..tach

2003 Chev Silverado. All instrument cluster gauges quit today. No speedo, tach, fuel ,temp, oil etc. Never any problem before. 140,000 KM. Battery voltage, alt. etc all good. 5.3l AUTO. wHATS MY PROBLEM

This is not an unheard of problem in the full size trucks. Normally the failure is the instrument panel itself. These have been found to be such a common failure that gm has actually extended the warranty for this problem. Proper testing would require the access to a class 2 scan tool. Here is some info on the extended warranty. The mileage you have listed actually makes you over the allowed mileage though. The gm bulletin #07187A is where gm actually has extended this warranty.

Some customers of 2003-2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that one or more of the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings.

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the instrument panel cluster after the condition has been verified. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Doesn't really answer what the problem is. I knew that GM was replacing these inst. panels. Dont understand why the whole cluster quit all at the same time, with no previous gauge problems. But if you say its just that way that the whole cluster can go , then I guess I would accept your answer. How sticky is GM on the Mileage overage.
Gm is rather firm about their extended warranty. If you bought the truck new though I would strongly reinforce your feelings to them. You may get them to bend a bit, but not always. As far as the actual trouble goes, it seems that the logic module inside the unit fails and can create this problem. This would be diagnosed with a class 2 scan tool that can see what the outputs of the engine control module to verify that the cluster is inoperative. Like I said if you bought the truck new and have had it serviced by a gm dealer you will have a good shot at having this problem repaired. I would also advise you to contact gm at 1-800-chev-usa if the dealer refuses to cover this under warranty. This phone number is XXXXX's customer service. They have the ability to make a decision like this. Good luck!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much.
Good luck to you! Thanks for the accept and for using justanswer.com!!