Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician

No Comment Added

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.

The "check engine" light is a warning indicator turned on by the vehicle's computer when it sees something in the engine, transmission, or emissions systems that is not operating properly.

If it is an intermittent problem, then disconnecting the negative battery cable for 30 seconds will erase computer memory and cause the light to stay out untill the problem recurs.

If the light comes back on after the memory has been erased, that means that the problem is still occurring. In that case, the problem causing the light to be on will need to be diagnosed and the fault repaired before the light will stay out permanently.

Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.
I have noticed that you have not yet accepted the answer I provided for your question.
If there is some way I can be of further assistance, please let me know.
If not, then please click the accept button to close the question; JA does not pay us for the time we invest in helping you unless you click the accept button.