Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

2006 Chevy trailblazer: oil change 400 miles..Coming home..accelerate

2006 Chevy trailblazer, got oil change 400 miles ago. Oil life was not reset. Coming home last night ran sluggishly would not accelerate. Could not resetting oil life cause this, it reads oil life at 0.What is the mst likely problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I am sending you some information on resetting the oil life system. As for the way it is running, my first thought is that you should have the system scanned to see if it has any stored trouble codes that may point us in the correct direction, in the event that there is a problem with one of the sensors or something similar. The oil change light should not have this kind of an effect on the truck at all. But you can try driving it after reseting the system to see. Depending on how many miles are on the truck and what has already been done to it, the first things that come to mind are maybe a restricted fuel filter, or even a fuel pump pressure problem. But as I say, without driving it and knowing the history on it as well as the miles, that is just a stab in the dark. Some of the larger auto parts stores like Auto Zone and Pep Boys will scan the system for you at no charge and if that shows anything, then we will have a better idea of what area to look in for a problem. Info below. Thanks

With the Driver Information Center (DIC)

1. Press the fuel information button until ENGINE OIL LIFE appears in the display.
  2. To reset the monitor, press and hold the select button while ENGINE OIL LIFE is displayed.

Without the Driver Information Center (DIC)

To reset the CHANGE ENGINE OIL light, do the following:

1. Turn the ignition key to RUN, with the engine off.
  2. Full press and release the accelerator pedal slowly 3 times within 5 seconds.
  3. If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL light flashes for five seconds, the system is reset. If the light does not flash. repeat the procedure.
  4. Turn the key to LOCK.

If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL light comes back on when you start the vehicle, the engine oil life system has not reset. Repeat the procedure.

Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)