Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

Suburban: the heated seats on drivers side stoped working the lights

Customer Question

I have a suburban 2003 and the heated seats on drivers side stoped working the lights go on but then shut off. Is this a fuse?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Hello, if the seat light comes on when you turn on the switch, that proves that the fuse and relay are ok in the system. If the seat works part of the time and part of the time it does not, there is a service program change for the control module that will fix it. But if the problem is that it never works, there is a pretty good chance that the heater element has burnt out. This seems to be the most common problem with the seats. You have to physically remove the seat covers to even see the heating element and then if you test it with an ohm meter, you can see if it has any opens spots in it or not. That is where I would begin. To test the test of the system, you will need a class 2 scan tool to run function tests on the control modules and the rest of the system circuits. You would also need a class 2 scan tool to do the reprograming of the module if it is an intermittent problem. Service bulletin from GM below. Thanks

Subject:Intermittent Heated Seats Inoperative, DTC B3941 Set (Reprogram Driver Seat Module) #05-08-50-008 - (08/19/2005)

Models:2003-2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2003-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2005 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali
All with Seat FRT, Individual (Non BKT) (RPO AN3)
2003-2005 HUMMER H2 with Seat, Front Bucket Deluxe (RPO AR9)

Condition

Some customers may comment that occasionally the seat heater will not operate when activated. If the ignition key is cycled OFF and back ON again, the heated seat will operate correctly. Also, on some LB7 diesel engine vehicles, the seat heater may turn itself off during the first 10 minutes of operation. This occurs only with the first activation for the day and works correctly with subsequent activations immediately after the event. These conditions are intermittent and DTC B3941 may be set.

Correction

Technicians are to reprogram the driver seat module with an updated software calibration. This new service calibration was released with TIS satellite data update version 6.5 available June 13, 2005. As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Also the pedals that are on the door panel are
not working either.
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I guess I don't understand the question about the pedals on the door panel? Could you elaborate a little? Do you mean switches? What do they work that isn't working? Woruld love to try to help you with this. Thanks And thatnks for the accept from before, too.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
On the side panel where the heated seats are is alo a switch for the pedals to move up or down that is also not working you go to press it and you hear a clicking coming from the front of the steering wheel just like the heated seats you turn them on and the lights go on for a second and then shuts down.

Thanks
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
Okay, thanks for the added input. This system works through the drivers door module and also through the seat control module, they are all tied into the circuit. The problem with this accessory is that it can only be tested with a class 2 scan tool like the dealers use. Once in a while it is just a matter of re flashing one or the other of the modules as they sometimes will loose memory and keep the system from working correctly. I checked for bulletins on the pedals and there are none, yet. But, I don't recall any one particular item being more failure prone on this system than any other. About the only things you could check for at home would be connections and loose or pinched wires on or around the pedal motors and module around the bottom of the steering column or under the front seat. Just about any other problem is going to require the scanner to be found. If you are hearing a click when you activate the switch, that proves that the fuses are good again. If it was not getting voltage to at least part of the circuit, you would not even hear any noise when you moved the switch. Pretty much the same situation as with you seats. Just about every accessory on the truck is controlled by at least one module, many of them by more than one. And there is no way to read operating perimeters without the scan tool. A regular code reader won't do the job, because they only access engine and emission systems and can't read things like the door and seat modules and the abs and traction control stuff. Much as I hate to say it, your pretty much stuck with finding someone with a Tech 2 scanner and running function tests on the system to see what is working and what is not. When we know what component is out of whack, then I can tell you if it is something that you could replace yourself or not. The other problem is that many of the components after they are replaced, need to be programed to match the computers in your particular truck before they will even work and that also is done with the scanner. If you can get it scanned and get the stored codes, write them down and post them here and then I can access the GM site and see what they relate too and what it will take to fix the problem. Let me know and thanks a lot for the accept. Will be here when you need us. Thanks