Robert
Robert, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  12 years experience with RVIA vendor certifications.
3862310

99 chevy cavalier: 2.2 sounds..idler pulley..belt..bearings

Customer Question

99 chevy cavilier 2.2 sounds like idler pulley or belt tenioner bearings. belt is off and the noise is still there?????
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

Hi There!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer!

Can you tell me how you arrived at this point?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
car was making rattling noise like a bearing disconected belt and noise is still there
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

OK

Well you did the correct procedure by removing the belt and finding the noise. So are you trying to figure out if this is the idler pulley or belt tensioner causing the issue?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i thought that it might be either the belt tenioner or the pulley but the noise is still there after the belt was removed???
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

OK

Just want to make sure we are on the same page so we can diagnose the noise. With the belt removed you still here the noise? It does sound like a bad bearing, what you can try to do is grab the pulleys and try to move them, any movement would indicate a bad bearing. Another thing that may be helpful is to get a stethoscope and listen to each component to you can pinpoint the noise. If you have a bad bearing you would still get the noise. Have you tried to spin them by hand?

Thank You! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and bonus welcomed!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
maybe i did not explain rite .the belt is off the pulleys.I started the motor up and the noise is still there .There is nothing turning except the crank shaft pully
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

OK

Did the noise increase at all when you pulled the belt? The tensioner would still rattle if not more without the belt.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
are we talking about the belt tensioner or the timing chain tensioner??
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

OK

I was referring to the belt tensioner. IF the noise at all changed by removing the belt?Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the noise was the same after the belt was removed
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

OK.

I am going to re-post your question for another expert. I want you to have the correct Answer and maybe another expert has some more feedback. I do not know when another expert will be contacting you.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you