Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

GM: NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH..STEERING COLUMN..KEY SWITCH IN COLUMN

Type your question here I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO WIRE THE NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH ON A GM STEERING COLUMN WITH KEY SWITCH IN COLUMN AND SWITCH AT BASE OF COLUMN
I need to know the year and model, because the wiring colors are different from different years and models. Also need to know if it is an automatic or standard shift. Thanks
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: THE STEERING COLUMN IS LATE 1980,S I AM BUILDING AXXXXXROD I AM WIRING IT I NEED TO KNOW WHERE TO RUN THE TWO WIRES FROM THE NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH

Hello, most of the switches have 4 terminals, but then most of them are on automatic equipped cars. I am sending you a diagram. About all you need to do is run a power feed from the ignition so its hot with the key on, to one side of the switch and from the other side to the back up lamps. If you look at the diagram your only interest is the Light Green and the Blue wires. Green goes to the lights in the rear. The Yellow would be from the ignition switch and the Purple to the solenoid on the starter if you had an automatic. So, you can just ignore those two. Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
THERE ARE TWO BLADE CONNECTIONS LEFT NOT USED ON THE IGNITION PLUG ON THE SIDE OF THE COLUMN COULD I USE THEM IF I CHECK THEM WITH MY METER AND SHIFT THE COLUMN
Two of the terminals are for the back up lights, the other two are the nuetral safety switch that will only have continuity when the transmission is in park or nuetral. You will need to use an ohm meter to see which two do what. The back up light part will only have continuity in reverse with the key on, if the switch is adjusted correctly. The two that work the nuetral safety switch part will only have continuity when the trans is in park or nuetral and the key is turned to the crank position. An ohm meter should show you which set of terminals does what. If your running a standard trans and know what it is out of, it may be just as easy to use the switch mounted on the transmission if there is a place for one.???
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
YES I KNOW ABOUT THE NUETRAL SAFETY SWITCH AND THE BACKUP LIGHTS I NEED TO KNOW IF I CAN USE THE TWO BLADES THAT ARE ON THE IGNITION SWITCH PLUG ON THE SIDE OF COLUMN TO CONNECT TO NUETRAL SAFTEY SWITCH IF I CHECK THEM WHEN I OPERATE THE KEY SWITCH
Oh Okay, mis understood you. Yes, as long as they have power out put when you need them to. Check with a volt meter and see when and if they are hot with key on. They may also be accessory feeds in which case they will only have voltage when key is turned to acc. position. Thanks