Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

what steps are necessary to change the oil pan gasket ...

what steps are necessary to change the oil pan gasket on my 2003 chevy silverado 1500. whould a stop leak additive worth trying?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.

What size engine is in your 1500?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
my engine is a

Hi Eric
My engine is a V6
Truck Model (from decal on drivers door)C15753
2wd extended cab.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.

Here are directions:

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Installation is reversal of removal.

graphic

Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated

This is a Paysite

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
This looks like what I need. I have printed it and will look at it closer tonight to insure I have no questions. The leak was described by my dealer during a 45k service this week. I see no oil in my driveway or on the garage floor. I will do a visual inspection before I decide what to do.
Is there an oil additive that can be used for minor oil pan gasket leaks?
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.

About the only additive I would use is Lucas engine treatment. One way to verify a leak is to first clean engine, then add engine crankcase dye to the oil. It is a flourescent dye that will show up wherever the leak is occuring. If it is the oil pan gasket, you will see some dye between the oil pan and the engine block. The dye is available at all auto parts stores.

This is a Paysite

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Sorry to take so long getting back to this.
two more questions. well I loose transmission fluid or need a new gasket when I replace the transmission cover? Will I be able to reach you if I have additional questions?

I am extreemly pleased with the help you have given me and will accept/ following this answer.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.

To continue to reach me for follow-up help, just come back to just answer and re-open this question, it will automatically directed to me.

You wont lose any transmission fluid by removing the transmission cover. If you have a stand to support the tranmission when you slide it back and are able to slide it back enough without removing the transmission lines, you will not lose any fluid at all. If you have to remove the transmission lines at the transmission you will lose about 1 qt or so.