Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

HOW DO I DISABLE MY THEFT SYSTEM ....MY 1997 CHEVY CAVALIER ...

HOW DO I DISABLE MY THEFT SYSTEM?....MY 1997 CHEVY CAVALIER WILL NOT START AND THE THEFT SYSTEM LIGHT STAYS LIT, IT DOES NOT FLASH. i DON'T WANT TO REPLACE THE COMPUTER.
Really hate to tell you this, but on this particular system there is no practical way to disable the system. It is very possible that it does need a computer and I see no reason to doubt the dealer. But part of this system is an actual program that was written and programed right into the computer and the instrument cluster of the car. You would have to have a soft ware programmer write a whole new software program for the car to make it run without the pass lock system that it has now. As expensive as a new computer may be, if the relearn procedure did not help then you really don't have much in the way of options other than repairing the system. Sorry, but GM really built this system well. Even the technicians who work on these cars everyday would be hard pressed to steal one. But then, I guess if it was easy to defeat it wouldn't be much of a theft system would it? Thanks
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Not the answer I wanted to hear, but Thanks!!
Your sure welcome. Hate giving people news they don't want to hear, but if it isn't the truth it wouldn't do you any good. Thanks for the accept and good luck with it.