Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

What is causing the rattling noise?

There is a rattling noise in the right side of the dashboard of my 2006 Chevy Mailbu. I see a few other complaints about the same thing. I need to know what to tell the mechanic. I want it fixed and I can''t pinpoint the problem. What is making the noise?
Submitted: 6 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I can't promise that this is your noise, but it must be pretty common if GM went to the trouble of issuing a service bulletin on it. Thanks

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2006 Chevrolet Malibu

Subject:Vibration/Rattle/Buzz Noise from Right Front Side of Dash/Windshield Area at Speeds Above 56 km/h (35 mph) (Install Two-Way Tape) #07-08-111-001 - (01/26/2007)

Models:2006-2007 Malibu, Malibu Maxx

Condition

Some customers may comment on a vibration/rattle/buzz type noise coming from the right side dash/windshield area. The noise will start when the vehicle speeds reach 56 to 64 km/h (35 to 40 mph) and continue up through highway speeds.

Cause

The noise may be coming from the plastic cowl cover screen vibrating and contacting the windshield on the right side of the windshield between the wiper post and the right side "A" pillar. The cover may be raised off the windshield slightly and the air flow as the vehicle is traveling is pushing the cover down, causing the rattle/buzz noise.

Correction

Remove the cowl cover and install a strip of double stick tape to the underside of the cover. Install the tape about 102 mm (4 in) from the wiper post opening to the end of the cover. The tape should be on the plastic cover, not on the seal. Clean the windshield in this area and reinstall the cover. Press the cover down where the tape was installed.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Material Allowance

3M 06397

3MTM Scotch Mount*

$2.50 (U.S.)

$2.93 (Canada)

*or equivalent

Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Here is yet another.

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2006 Chevrolet Malibu

Subject:LZE, LZ4, LZ9 Ticking or Clicking Noise Heard Inside Vehicle on Passenger Side at Idle (Install Updated Heater Inlet and Outlet Coolant Hoses/Pipes) #06-06-02-002C - (08/24/2006)

Models:2006 Buick Rendezvous, Terraza
2006 Chevrolet Impala, Malibu, Malibu Maxx, Malibu SS, Monte Carlo, Uplander
2006 Pontiac G6, G6 GT, G6 GTP, Montana SV6
2006 Saturn Relay
with 3.5L or 3.9L V6 Engine (VINs K, N, 1 -- RPOs LZE, LZ4, LZ9)

This bulletin is being revised to update the parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-06-02-002B (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a ticking or clicking noise heard inside the vehicle on the passenger side. The noise may be noticeable with the engine on and at idle, with the vehicle in PARK, and with the HVAC and radio off.

Cause

The noise may be caused by normal EVAP purge valve operation. The EVAP purge valve operation may be internally grounding out, creating a noise path through the coolant inlet and outlet hoses/pipes

Correction

Perform the diagnosis FIRST to determine if the EVAP purge valve operation is normal. Confirm the customer concern by using a Tech 2® to disable the EVAP purge valve. If the ticking or clicking noise heard inside the passenger side of the vehicle is gone, perform the following steps:

1. Drain the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System in SI.
  2. Remove the intake manifold cover, if equipped. Refer to Intake Manifold Cover Replacement in SI.
  3. Remove the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in SI.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. Release the rubber coolant inlet and outlet hoses/pipes clamps at the engine pipes using the J 38195 hose clamp pliers, or equivalent.
  5. Remove the coolant inlet and outlet hoses/pipes clamp nuts from the throttle body studs.
  6. Remove the quick connect fitting from the coolant inlet and outlet hoses/pipes. Refer to Quick Connect Fitting(s) Service (Metal Collar) in SI.
  7. Remove the coolant inlet and outlet hoses/pipes from the engine pipes and the throttle body studs.
  8. Remove the coolant inlet and outlet hoses/pipes from the vehicle. Discard the old coolant hoses/pipes assembly.
  9. Remove the two lower throttle body studs from the upper intake manifold and discard.
  10. Replace the coolant inlet and outlet hoses/pipes with the revised part number listed below:

Important: All 2006 models listed in this bulletin use two 10 mm (0.4 in) longer throttle body studs, P/N 11562429.

11. Replace the throttle body studs with longer 10 mm (0.4 in) studs. Refer to revised part numbers listed below:
    2006 Buick Rendezvous, Terraza - use P/N 12603835.
    2006 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo - use P/N 12603834.
    2006 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx, Malibu SS - use P/N 12603833.
    2006 Chevrolet Uplander - use P/N 12603835.
    2006 Pontiac G6, G6 GT, G6 GTP - use P/N 12603833.
    2006 Pontiac Montana SV6 - use P/N 12603835
    2006 Saturn Relay - use P/N 12603835
  12. Install two lower 10 mm (0.4 in) longer throttle body studs with threadlock, P/N 12345382 (for Saturn U.S., use P/N 21485277; in Canada/Saturn Canada, use P/N 10953489) to the upper intake manifold.

Tighten
    Tighten the two studs to 6 N·m 53 lb in)

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

13. Install the revised coolant inlet and outlet hoses/pipes assembly.
  14. Install the coolant inlet and outlet hoses/pipes clamp nuts to the throttle body studs.

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

15. Install the quick connect fitting from coolant inlet and outlet hoses/pipes. Refer to Quick Connect Fitting(s) Service (Metal Collar) in SI. Ensure that the quick connect fittings are positively engaged.
  16. Fill the cooling system. Refer Draining and Filling Cooling System in SI.
  17. Install the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in SI.
  18. Install the intake manifold cover, if equipped. Refer to Intake Manifold Cover Replacement in SI.