Sam C.
Sam C., Technician/Shop Manager
Experience:  ASE Master, L1 cert, 25 years experience domestic & import
3113681

HOW DO YOU START A FUEL INJECTED VEHICLE AFTER IT HAS RUN ...

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
HOW DO YOU START A FUEL INJECTED VEHICLE AFTER IT HAS RUN OUT OF GAS COMPLETELY?
Expert:  Sam C. replied 8 years ago.

Hi there,

if you ran it out completely hopefully you did not damage the electric fuel pump. a fuel injected vehicle needs fuel around the pump to keep it cool and provide lubrication to moving components. If you have fuel in it now you can try cycling the key on and off a few times without going all the way to start. This will allow the pump to run for a couple of seconds at a time and help purge the air out of the system. After you have done this a few times try starting it as you would normally. If it starts you're in luck, but if it doesn't we will have to look into further troubleshooting.

sam

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Sam C.'s Post: IF WE HAVE PUMPED THE PEDAL AND TRIED TO START IT NORMALLY WE WANT TO KNOW IF THIS DIDN'T WORK (WHICH IT DIDN'T) WHAT'S NEXT OR WHAT FURTHER TROUBLE SHOOTING DO WE HAVE TO LOOK INTO?
Expert:  Sam C. replied 8 years ago.

Are you sure you are out of gas? I would check to see if you have spark, and also if you have fuel pressure. To check for spark is easy, to check for fuel pressure you will need a fuel injection pressure gauge.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
2000 CHEVY TAHOE-YES THE GAS IS THE PROBLEM, I HAD NO OTHER PROBLEMS PRIOR
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
HOW DO I LOOK FOR A SPARK AND WHAT WOULD THIS SPARK INDICATE?
Expert:  Sam C. replied 8 years ago.
To look for spark you disconnect the spark plug wire. put something like a metal screwdriver in the boot. hold it near a ground (about 1/4 inch) of the engine and have someone crank the engine( note dont touch the metal part of the screwdriver or you will get shocked!) and you should see a big spark. This tells me that all the ignition is working fine and the problem is elsewhere

Ok then we will need to check for fuel pressure.There is a small valve on the fuel rail with a black cap you can put a pressure gauge on it and check to see if you are getting fuel pressure. By the way, is the Tahoe a new body style, and what engine is in it?

I will have to go off line for a few hours, but I can continue helping you out as soon as I can get near the computer OK?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
WHEN SHOULD I CHECK BACK, HOW LONG IS A FEW HOURS? AND IF AFTER I HAVE CHECKED FOR A SPARK AND THE FUEL PRESSURE, IF BOTH ARE OK-THEN WHAT?
Expert:  Sam C. replied 8 years ago.
Ok if both are OK I will need to know a few things. Is it an old or new body style? what size engine is in the vehicle?