goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified
5720312

1998 Chevy Malibu: hoe do you change the fuel filter..disconnected

Customer Question

hoe do you change the fuel filter on a 1998 Chevy Malibu? I cannot get the filter disconnected.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 9 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for using JA!!! I have included the instructions for the fuel filter!!

I hope this info was helpfull!!!

In-Line Fuel Filter Replacement

Removal Procedure

The fuel filter is located under the rear of the car, rearward of the fuel tank. There is no service interval for the fuel filter replacement. Replacement is required only if the fuel filter becomes restricted.

Important: Always maintain cleanliness when servicing fuel system components.

Important: There is no service interval for in-pipe fuel filter replacement. Only replace the in-pipe fuel filter if it is restricted.

1. Relieve fuel system pressure.
  2. Raise the vehicle.
    Object Number: 69054  Size: SH

3. Disconnect the quick-connect fitting at the inlet of the in-pipe fuel filter.
  4. Disconnect the threaded fitting at the outlet of the in-pipe fuel filter.
  5. Drain any remaining fuel into an approved gasoline container.

Installation Procedure

Caution: Always apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male pipe ends before connecting the fuel pipe fittings in order to reduce the risk of fire and personal injury. This will ensure proper reconnection and prevent a possible fuel leak. During normal operation, the O-rings located in the female connector will swell and may prevent proper reconnection if not lubricated.

Object Number: 69054  Size: SH

1. Remove protective caps from new filter.
  2. Install the filter in same position as old filter.
    - Apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male tube end of the filter and of the fuel sender assembly.
    - Push connectors together to cause the retaining tabs/fingers to snap into place.
    - Once installed, pull on both ends of each connection to make sure they are secure.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Connect the fuel filter fitting using new O-ring.

Tighten
    Use back up wrench to prevent filter, O-ring or fuel line damage and tighten fitting to 27 N·m (20 lb ft).

4. Lower vehicle.
  5. Tighten the fuel fill cap.
  6. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
  7. Inspect for leaks.
    1. Turn the ignition switch ON for 2 seconds.
    2. Turn the ignition switch Off for 10 seconds.
    3. Turn the ignition switch ON.
    4. Check for leaks.

Object Number: 12777  Size: SH

Squeeze the plastic retainer release tabs.
Object Number: 12778  Size: SH

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I cannot get the quick disconnect to come apart. Any suggestions?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to goodwrench9124's Post: I cannot get the quick disconnect apart, any suggestions?

you can try using a small flatblade screwdriver, like a pocket screw driver to unlatch the plastic lock from line!!!

Object Number: 12778  Size: SH