Joshua, GM Performance Tuner
Experience:  Extensive Training in GM engine management systems & performance Tuning.

My 2002 Chevy Silverado service engine soon light ...

Customer Question

My 2002 Chevy Silverado service engine soon light comes on, IT has 64k miles. The code indicates bank 1 and bank 2 too lean. A service repair garage replaced the fuel filter and reset the code 2 weeks ago. They checked for vacuum leaks and found none and diagnostics found no other problems. The service engine soon light came on again yesterday. Do you have any thoughts to correct this problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joshua replied 8 years ago.

These are sometimes hard to find, but 99% of the time its due to unmetered air entering the engine. your engine should work like this: air is pulled in thru the air filter and flows past a mass airflow meter then it flows into the throttle body and into the engine.

any air that enters after the mass air meter, is not seen by the computer and therefore is not compensated for by adding fuel, so it leans out the mixture, and the computer sets a code.

very careful examination of the intake tube, and joints elbows, swals, rubber hoses, pcv valve etc must be looked at to find the source.

you can spray some starting fluid around the hoses, intake tube to see if the engine responds, if it does you have found your source, just make sure its not coming in thru the air filter, because thats where the air should be coming from. extreme caution should be used when working around a running engine, and when using starting fluid.

Hope this helps,
Expert:  Joshua replied 8 years ago.
Hello, I just noticed that you didn't click accept, Is there anything else I can help you with?