Wrenchtech
Wrenchtech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40 years experience with ASE certification as Master Technician with L1--Repair Shop Owner
7136321

2000 Jimmy climate control problem air isnt cold and heat isnt hot

Customer Question

2000 Jimmy climate control problem air isn''t cold and heat isn''t hot
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Wrenchtech replied 8 years ago.
Do you seem to have any control over temp at all?

With the A/C on full cold, feel the temp of the aluminum canister (accumulator) in the engine compartment in front of the passenger.

With the engine at full operating temp, locate the 2 heater hoses where they go into the firewall and feel them to see if they are both hot to the touch.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Wrenchtech's Post: The fans are working but I can't notice any temp change in the ducks output in air or heat mode. The heater hoses are warm to the touch and the air cond canister is cold to the touch but the air conditioner compressor doesn't seem to be turning on the clutch. I would think I should see the clutch cycling when the air conditioner is on but is pretty cold this morning and I don't know if the air would come on. (30 deg outside)
No, the A/C will not engage at that temp so we can't even address that A/C side of this.

It sounds like you could have a bad electgric blend door actuator or a jammed blend door. The actuator is #1 in the picture (behind the glove box). See if it is responding to temp changes at the controls.

The hoses outside should actually be hot to the touch. If they aren't, then you may have a plugged heater core. This happens quite often with the dexcool coolant. You would need to disconnect both heater hoses and try to flush the heater core with a garden hose.

graphic