frank, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  33 years experience,24 years of Chevroler/GM experience and training .ASE Recertified Master Tech,

1999 gmc suburban: turn signals..fuse box..dash lights..lights work

1999 gmc surburban 1500 starts and sometimes it don,t start,when it does not start i also loose dash gages and turn signals power to fuse box for these fuses only when dash lights work fuel pump works truck starts .truck has new relay and pump
still same problem making me nuts.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  frank replied 8 years ago.
If your loosing the dash and turn signals- the fuses for them will have no power-the problem is the ignition switch or the power feeds to the switch.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I back feed the power to the dash gages with another fuse port and a jumper wire fuse port to fuse port through gages,pump came on truck started.
put all fuses back all have power again and truck starts again and again fuel punp is working again.

I thought of the ignition switch but 90 percent of fuse box works all the time.
are their fuseable links or a relay's that controls that circut when i back feed the power came on?????????????
truck can run for weeks then you have to tow it one day.
this has me stuck, have you come across this before.
also when it acts up no fuel pump turn which i told you plus air bag fuse also looses power.
Expert:  frank replied 8 years ago.
The ignition switches are very common.Also the battery cables-the double stacked cables will corrode and loose contact. From there you would have to test for power in that under hood electrical center-there could ba a problem with that .The last problem is the pass thru connector at the fire wall- a loose terminal will arch and burn things up from the heat.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

i bought a switch tonight so i will check that and the fire wall connection but one more thing can this also be caused by a bad ground that you know of anywhere i might need to check ???