goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified
5720312

how to remove a 2.4 engine from a 00 cavalier

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 6 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for using JA!! please accept my answer if this info was helpfull to you!!!!

Here is the instructions for engine removal!!!

Engine Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the hood.
  3. Drain the engine coolant.
  4. Evaporate and recover the refrigerant.
  5. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
  6. Disconnect the brake booster vacuum line at the intake manifold.
  7. Remove the fuel injector rail cover.

Caution: In order to avoid possible injury or vehicle damage, always replace the accelerator control cable with a NEW cable whenever you remove the engine from the vehicle.In order to avoid cruise control cable damage, position the cable out of the way while you remove or install the engine. Do not pry or lean against the cruise control cable and do not kink the cable. You must replace a damaged cable.

8. Remove the accelerator and the cruise control cables from the cable bracket.
  9. Disconnect the engine wiring harness from the underhood engine components .
  10. Remove the cruise control module.
  11. Disconnect the A/C line from the accumulator.
  12. Remove the drive belt.
  13. Remove the surge tank.
  14. Remove the upper and lower radiator hoses.
  15. Remove the fuel feed lines at the engine.
  16. Raise and support the vehicle.
  17. Remove the coolant pipe assembly.
  18. Remove the right side wheel and tire assembly.
  19. Remove the right front fender liner.
  20. Remove the engine mount strut.
  21. Remove the flywheel dust cover.
  22. Remove the exhaust pipe and hanger from the exhaust manifold.
  23. Remove the starter.
  24. Remove and support the A/C compressor.
  25. Drain the engine oil.
    Object Number: 475919  Size: SH

26. Remove the torque converter bolts.
    Object Number: 475818  Size: SH

27. Remove the transmission-to-engine support brace.
    Object Number: 471736  Size: SH

28. Remove the lower transmission-to-engine bolts.
  29. Lower the vehicle.
  30. Support the transmission with a suitable jack.
  31. Install the engine lifting device to the engine lifting eyes.
    Object Number: 475839  Size: SH

32. Remove the upper front engine mount.
    Object Number: 471738  Size: SH

33. Remove the remaining transmission-to-engine bolts.
  34. Separate the engine from the transmission and lift the engine from the vehicle.