Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Where is the radiator drain cock of a 2004 Chev Blazer 4wd

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 9 years ago.

According to my info you should be looking on the passenger side of the radiator at the bottom of the tank. Here is an illustration of your particular radiator. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Good luck!

graphic

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes, this seems to be the location of what passes as a drain valve. It required removing the fan shroud and battery compartment to get even a mirror in a position to see the so called valve. However, the valve is some kind of special fitting. There is a metal stem about 1/4 inches in diameter imbedded deep in a plastic collar. The collar is a molded part of the radiator base. There is an arrow molded into the stem with a pointer which indicates closed.   However, I can see no way to turn the stem. It looks like some special tool may be required, but there is so little space it appears the radiator would have to be removed to get at the fitting with any tool that would fit inside the value collar.

Even for GM, this seems beyond the pale. I need to correspond with someone who has actually had experience in a shop working with this vehicle.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 9 years ago.

The drain should have a small square to the insertion of a 1/4" drive rachet. Here is what the end of it looks like.

Object Number: 339454  Size: SH

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Your diagram correctly represents the value on my vehicle except my value has no female molding in the stem to receive a 1/4 inch socket driver. In fact the end surface seems completely flat. I blowout the collar with compressed air and finally got a mirror positioned so I can see inside the collar. It appears the stem may be hex shaped, but the clearance between the stem and the collar is so small that only some special, very thin walled socket could fit. The clearance is so small that this just does not seem likely to be the answer. I bought this vehicle new, and the coolant has never been changed, so it is not a replacement radiator.

I can see how the value was designed, and I don't see any other way to open the value than to turn the stem inside the collar as you described. Do you have any ideas?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 9 years ago.
Honestly I do not. I cannot say as I have seen one like this. I will opt out to get other experts opinions. Good luck, sorry I could not help further. Thanks for your patience!
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.

It sounds like the petcock may not have been stamped out completely at the manufacturing plant. To remove it, you are probably going to have to remove the radiator.

In the meantime if you are looking to drain the cooling system on either side of the engine block towards the rear the engine block has drain hole plugs between 2 of the freeze plugs(see below). This will drain both the radiator and the engine block.

graphic

If this helps please click the ACCEPT BUTTON or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated

This is a Paysite

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a good alternative.   I don’t think it will completely drain the radiator because the water pump intake hose is so high, but it will probably drain more out of the total system than just draining the radiator. All I am doing is changing the anti-freeze.